Well Done Ron

J

john ledger

Ron phone me a little earlier to say he had caught this magnificent roach which in my mind is equivalent of any Sway lake three pounder.
Any two pound fish from a natural lake in Yorkshire is indeed a specimen,well done Ron

I

Ian Cloke

Just had a call from Ron, he sounds over the moon about this fish (and rightly so) Well done Ron:))

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

What pleases me about this fish is that I caught it in South Yorkshire, which as many will know is extremely devoid of such specimens.

It's a shame in that this gentle old lady was a bit worn out. She had a missing top lip which gives the impression on the photo that it might be a hybrid. But everything else looks right.

It won't be accepted as a specimen fish of course because the photo shows it next to my scales, not me holding it.

But it doesn't matter.

I caught it and that's all that matters.

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Its a specimen to all of us Ron, we all know of your passion for the Roach and I think there is none more deserving than yourself to capture such a beauty in a place that you love so well. A definate crown in your Jewels. Well done.

Andy R

Reaction score
Well done Ron thats a massive Roach from this neck of the woods.

R

And this little lake is as natural as they come. It was built 150 years ago and was stocked 30 years ago with a batch of roach from the River Tweed.

I truly wish the owner would get rid of the carp. These vermin are eating the food the roach need to get even better.

I suggested a massive carp pogrom where we could flog them to the Eastern Europeans or bury them in a pit in one of his fields.

Or even breed some big fat maggots off them to feed the roach, but all I get is strange looks.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

There's life in the old dog yet.
I'm still waiting for my first two pounder Ron. News like ths will prompt me even more to try for them. Well done.

R

Baz, this now must be my 40th two pounder. Most of my 2 pound fish have been caught from southern waters such as Oxfordshire gravel pits,the River Severn and the Hampshire Avon where they are far more common.

This fish came from a part of England where they are extremely rare and because of that, I value the capture far higher than a 3 pounder from a southern gravel pit.

P

paul williams 2

Congrats on your Scottish roach Ron...;)

the carp may be English though?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I would agree with you on that point Ron. This makes it an exceptional Roach.

R

Come on Brummie, carp were introduced to this country, most likely by the Romans; and the Monks had something to do with it too.

Roach have existed here for hundreds of thousands of years.

They, of all the species, have the right to a UK passport.

I seem to remember a lovely photo of The Monk preparing to devour a nice 20 pound ratfish that was simmering on the barbie.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"40th 2lb Roach"

Ron, I'm still waiting for my 1st!

So don't all you Northern geezers think it's easy down here, it aint, believe me!

Congratulations Ron, on the capture of a very special fish.

T

The Monk

It tasted lovely too Ron

Getting back to the roach Ron, knowing you though mate, you would have targeted 2lb plus fish, it was certainly no fluke

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Said it on the other thread but may aswel say it here, loverly fish Ronold, well deserved!

P

paul williams 2

Did i just get a pull from you Ron?.......must try a self hooking rig next time!

A 2lb roach is a wonderful fish from anywhere........and i have never had one on the pole, so i am very envious!