Top Anglers Drug Tested at Fishing Competition

I

Ian Cloke

TOP championship anglers were left shocked... after being asked to submit to drug tests.

Competitors at last week's World Angling Championships were told to give urine samples or face losing their prizes.

Astonishingly, the tests - which they all passed - were made because officials fear stimulants could give cheats an unfair advantage by sharpening their reflexes when they get a bite.

The regime is part of a move to bring angling up to Olympic standards ahead of a bid to make it an official sport.

But it caught anglers by surprise. Briton Sean Ashby, who came third in the individual competition and was part of the England team which won the overall event, said: "At first I thought it was a wind-up. There are one or two jokers in the pack and I was convinced someone was having a laugh. My first thought was, 'What drug could possibly help anyone catch more fish?'"

But, after his initial shock, the 39-year-old admitted he came round to the testing plan.

"I think it's a good thing," he added. "It gives the sport credibility because we are subject to the same anti-doping tests as other sports. At this level, we all take angling very seriously.

"We want it to be in the Olympics one day, so we have to fall in line with other sports.

"Speed of reflexes is very important and I suppose it would be possible for some drugs to help with that. When a fish starts to bite, you have to be quick to strike with your rod if you're going to end up catching it."

Experts suggest the use of amphetamines or cocaine could improve reaction times.

Angling is by far the most popular sport in Britain, with more than 10 million people regularly taking part. The top three fishermen at last week's world championships all passed their drug tests.

However, the tests did not go entirely smoothly and had to be carried out twice after the initial sample batch proved faulty. The anglers all passed a second time. "I know that most competitive anglers just drink water when they're fishing," said Sean. "There's too much at stake to take your eye off your float in order to eat."

A spokesman for the governing body, the National Federation of Anglers, said: "Many top anglers dedicate their lives to the sport. They travel the country every weekend competing in contests and they all welcome the onset of drug testing. It gives the sport a higher status."

Many top anglers are professional, earning a living by entering competitions with prizes of up to ?500.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

IF and only IF there was a drug to enable anglers to cheat or gain an advantage, I wonder how many would take it?

That includes proffessional anglers and the trophy hunters.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

What about the top carp anglers with their special brews and whaccy baccy?

P

Phil Hackett The original disability bad speller w

Thankfully top Carpers don't fish matches Ron! Oooh errrr!

G

Ged

I though they would test the anglers hook bait?
Could have substances added to make the fish bite harder, therefore hooking up better and then some kind of relxant to make them docile when bringing then to the net, hence quicker retreave time.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Ron probably overdosed his groundbait with hempoil to catch his 2 lb'er.

M

MarkTheSpark

"Many top anglers are professional, earning a living by entering competitions with prizes of up to ?500"
...said competition anglers who thought their wives might be reading this publication.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Pity Steve Ringer wasn't there to be tested. They'd have no trouble taking the piss out of him. All his mates do. I believe his nickname is the cabbage!

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Perhaps it's a good job we bombed out disastrously in the Carp World Championships this week!

The NFA will have to be very careful who they select in future years...

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
"Experts suggest the use of amphetamines or cocaine could improve reaction times."

I don't think taking disco dust on the bank will help the reflexes at all. A friend of mine used to be a coke addict and if anything it made his reflexes worse. He could never stay focused or concentrate for too long. He'd chat absolute bollocks about nothing and loose interest within minutes. If anything I think it would make fishing, any type of fishing for that matter, a hell of alot more difficult. But then again everyone is different so different people might react differently to others.

Beecy

Reaction score
"He'd chat absolute bollocks about nothing and loose interest within minutes"

on that basis Juan, I reckon half the blokes who fish my local lake must be on coke !

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Am I the only to notice that, in the opening statement, the number of anglers in the UK has leapt from around 3 or 4 million, to 10 million? Where did they all come from? No wonder the Royalty was so busy on Saturday...

T

TT

why would a dealer walk the banks of the trent tring to tout for buisness selling his goodies to some old dude willing to fill his pipe with hit of the good stuff when he can sit in the comfort of his house and they come to him,,you dont need steroids to hold a 2 pound pole all day# beta blockers to calm you waiting fo that match winning roach \a line of the coke wont help you catch much more \\wot a crock of s@@t..JEAS SOMEBODY GROW UP