please help

ian farebrother

Reaction score
hello folks
can anyone please advise me i have just started fishibg and need to know wot tackle i need i fish for any fish and like to keep things simple
im a late starter as im 46 yrs old and cannot afford expensive tackle but i am very keen and like any advice
many thanks
ian
ps please dont laugh

alan

Reaction score
Hi Ian

to make things a bit easier to give you an answer what type of fishing do you want to do?

rivers
still waters
sea
fly

all have slighty differant methods/tackle.

ian farebrother

Reaction score
hiya alan
ty for replying so fast
im just learning so i will be fishing canals and ponds
cheers

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Really mate you dont need to have expensive equipment to catch fish.
Right id try and get yourself a cheapish float rod.
I dont know how much youve got but your tackle shop should sell something for around ?20 (maybe less) and look for a small reel for about the same price.
Buy a spool of 4lb line, some split shot, a selection of different floats and a few packs of hooks around the sizes of 10,12,14.
With this you will be able to have alot of fun and get started fishing. If you know anyone who fishes ask them to take you along to teach you. If not we'll sort of talk you through what to do.

alan

Reaction score
ive not fished canals yet and only have limited experince on ponds, im sure someone will pop in soon and give you all the advice you need.

do you know what sort of fish and how big?

captain carrott

Reaction score
if it's a canal then get yorself a 3 or 4 meter whip and a couple of pole rigs, you can't possibly start any simpler than that.

once you get used to catching small roach and perch on it then go on to a rod and line.

by this time you will have learned to feed properly.
you can get a whip for a tenner and rigs for about 3 quid each.

P

paul williams 2

Capn is sock on Ian, .........you may mess up a rig or two but you can retie them if you look to see how they are tied and buy good quality ready tied hooks.

My nipper uses a 5 metre whip most of the time and has great fun.

You may well get laughed at on this site mate, but not by asking for help to start out.....ask away! ;)

ian farebrother

Reaction score
thanks guys im starting to feel at home already but im sure you will all be fed up of me soon but hey il keep coming bk

captain carrott

Reaction score
no we won't ian don't you worry about that an welcome to the site by the way.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Also may be worth having a search as theres loads of old threads and loads of articles which will help you!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hi Ian welcome to FM like everyone has said don't go over the top with tackle just yet,wait until you've had a play about with the roach and perch.

As paul said nobody will laugh at you on here they are a great bunch of guys. Can i ask you though....CHANGE YOUR PICTURE :) the manchester part is cool. ;)