Dorset Stour

T

Thalia

Has anyone got any knowledge of the current level and colour of the Stour on the Throop stretch? Thinking of fishing at the end of the week and would like it not it not to be low and clear.

Reaction score
Hi Thalia
Just got back from Christchurch earlier today. Stayed at Grove Farm caravan park which has access to a good section of the Stour where quite a few decent sized Barbel have been coming out over the last few days. The section is opposite the golf course near a weir. The levels looked good to me & only clear in the shallows. Remember we've recently had a few downpours which has coloured up the river.
Definitely, worth a go pack your gear & get down there!

T

Thalia

Mike - ta! Went myself yesterday and fished the Throop, beat 2.

Total disaster! Lower and clearer than I can remember. Had advice from Ringwood tackle to fish lower down on beat 3 where there's more water and more fish coming out (not anywhere near as pressured as the beat above it). Like a pair of berks we ignored it and stayed fishless. Walked a good couple of miles and saw a fair few chub which was more than we'd seen in the previous few vists so gave our normal stretch a go.

Like a say it was disaster and I left disgruntled as we had a plan before we went to move onto the lower beat later in the day and between us we blew it!

Funnily enough I arrived back in Oxfordshire in pouring rain and when I went to work tonight the Thames was about to burst it's banks!!