Overcoming tow when float fishing

Mark Hunt

Reaction score
Dear All

I've started fishing a nice ressie near me, average depth 13ft, 3-4 rods out.
My big problem is trying to stop my float moving in the slight tow and thereby presenting a static (ish) bait. I'm not into pole fishing (nothing against it, but just ain't my cup of tea)and I wonder if anyone has found a float / shotting pattern that minimises movement.
The bottom has some weed, so don't really want to float ledger if I can help it..

Any idea would be appreciated...

Mark

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Unless you have an 18ft long rod you are going to find it difficult. Lets assume you have. First of all use a waggler float with a thicker tip, and then lay up to 3ft on the bottom in the opposite direction to the surface wind. Bolt it down with shirt button style shot spacing using the larger ones as an anchor. Problem for you will be the depth and the weed, because you need to fish overdepth and anchor the bait to keep it still.
At that depth I would consider using a Polaris float with leger or feeder and a bait popped up off the weed.

Mark Hunt

Reaction score
Thanks Pete

I'm afraid me rod is only 14ft...

The weed isn't a great issue, so maybe laying up on the bottom with a waggler would work.
I tried a small Driftbeater which performed better than a loaded crystal, but it was a bitch to cast...
Haven't heard of a Polaris Float, will check that out...
Thanks for response, much appreciated..

Mark

M

MarkTheSpark

I assume you've tried the usual methods; fix float bottom end only; use heavier nylons; douse spool in dilute Fairy liquid to remove any grease; cast beyond fishing area, and retrieve with rod tip under water to sink line until float is where you want it; set rod rests so tip remains under water.

Backshotting with a No 6 can help. Try fluorocarbon on the reel.

But Peter's right about nailing the bait on the bottom by fishing overdepth; the only surefire way to keep everything still, apart from fishing a straight lead.

I'd try leaving just one, small shot on the bottom, about six inches from the hook, bulk shot beneath the float as usual.

Experiment with shotting and depth, and depending on what's on the bottom, you'll get there eventually.

E

EC

Mark H, Is the tow going the opposite way to the wind or in the same way?

Mark Hunt

Reaction score
Wow, lot's of suggestions..Thanks..

Have tried backshotting, but only with a no.8 and have also used the same on the hook length. Always sink line and keep rod tip in water..

Do you think concentrating the bulk of the shot close to the float is better than spreading them in close patterns down the line ?...

Eddie, regarding the tow direction...On Sunday, the tow was in the same direction as the wind..

E

EC

A place by us used to 'flow' opposite to the wind, and shots down the line used to balance both forces!

I'd try whats been mentioned and maybe also try laying on a few no10 shot on the bottom. Just keep experimenting.

Mark Hunt

Reaction score
Thanks lads for all the advice.

Will try at the weekend if I don't go Zedding.

Any preference for float type apart from those already expressed. On Sunday I found the best one for casting, was the worst for being towed and vice-versa, guess that's to do with the streamline effect or something...

E

EC

Use a float adaptor and try varying the length/size of the float. Sometimes a longer float will be better, I'd try a straight waggler to start.

P

Phil Hackett The original disability bad speller w

Faced this problem many, many times on the resers near me and nailing it is the only way to stop it.
However, one way to slow it down is to bulk shot it ? of the way down with the dropper shot 4 inches from the hook. I use straight 3 ssgs wagglers for this. The SSGs cast as a ledger so distance isn?t a problem.
Must confess I like a bit of movement on my float so I can search the whole of the swim out.

E

EC

Can you use a very long waggler to get past the surface skim on Rezzies Phil ?

P

Phil Hackett The original disability bad speller w

Eddie not sure what you mean by surface skim?
If you mean the the wind affect surface water it might help, but it?s those bloody orbitals again! Which on the upland resers are huge due to the size of the water bodies and weather/wind patterns they get. The swash from such orbitals can, and do last for days even when it goes calm.

I?ve gone on several resers where its been flat calm here in, Manchester only to find it blowing a Hoolie up there.

Then other times it been calm and you think oh great! I can get more sensitive presentation today and the float is racing along as if it's in a river.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Use a driftbeater as a slider, with a bulk of shot four feet from the hook and a single BB as a tell tale set to lie on the bottom with about a foot more line between stop knot and BB than the depth of the water.

You'll find this easier to cast than a fixed float and once the float has settled it will drift sightly until the line tightens up to the BB, which acts as an anchor. If the rig still drifts increase the distance between knot and BB until it stays put, as the shallower the angle between bulk and BB the better the anchoring effect.

Obviously, you may need to move the bulk up as well as the stop knot or it will end up on the bottom as well, which you don't want. Ideally the bulk should be a couple of feet off bottom. Bites will either be indicated by the float lifting, or pulling under, depending on what the fish does after picking the bait up.

You need to us a driftbeater (the clue is in the name) as the buoyant sight bob stops the float being dragged under; an ordinary bodied waggler will not resist the pull quite as well.

B

Bully

If its slow why worry?? Is it such a big issue? You may find that any groundbait is along the same track as well? I am not saying this is correct, cos I have never fished such conditions, I'd just be interested to know from others??

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`m sure i`ve seen an ian heaps video where he says the tow on some waters he has been fishing has been so bad,that he`s ended up with over two feet of line laying on the bottom to help combat it.
his presentation although not ideal was still ok for him to spot bites still.