Fishing on 5Live today with chris yates

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

You can never get him out of bed Wendy.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Seriously it was a good interview and I think Chris really explains to non-anglers why we go fishing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yes I've listened to it.Splendid stuff.

It was interesting what he said about Waterlog and having to sever ties with Medlar Press his previous publisher.He has a new publisher that is pushing the new books really well with pieces in the press and the 5 live interview.I wonder whether there was a falling out with Medlar or whether we can expect him back involved with Waterlog at some stage as his contribution is missed I feel?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I particulary liked the bit about the need to fish being a genetic imperative.I used that on my wife this morning when I told her I was going to Christchurch for the day this Thursday!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Great interview and a good antidote to the anti-angling faction.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
excellent interview. Had to agree with everything he said. Great ambassador for our past time. We need to hear more from this great man on telly and radio.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Nigel
I have also noticed much better promotion for "How To Fish" than his other books.

"Casting at the Sun" was raising hundreds of pounds second hand for years before its recent rerelease.

Bad business.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I think Chris has come to realise,and not before time, his commercial worth.Good for him.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Or maybe he needs a few more quid in the bank to fund his, shall we say, "laid-back" lifestyle.

Lucky bugger!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Chris does seem to live an idylic life in his cottage in the woods. It wouldn't suit everyone for he appears to have cut himself off from the 21st century he seems to despise.
According to an interview I read in "Loafer" magazine he cuts a sad and isolated figure at times-his wife has departed-leaving him with his children in his woodland cottage not far from his beloved Hampshire Avon. Apparently, he no longer fish's to the extent he used to, but that may have more to do with the parental responsibilies he now finds himself with than a waning desire to catch.
He is without doubt though the most naturally gifted and evocative angling writer of his generation . Someone all angling writers (my humble self included) look up as the standard bearer.
Whatever his fall out with Waterlog, the magazine is the poorer without his erudite contributions.

B

Bill Cox

I have most of his books and i would echo what has been said before. He is truly gifted and i feel for him if his present situation prevents him from fishing so much. I to am a single parent and i know how hard it is to fit in ANY time for oneself. Casting at the sun just has to be the best book on angling ever written. To fish with him would, i,m sure be amazing.

T

Thalia

Listened to it today. Excellent stuff, he's so easy to listen to. Best thing about it by far was the open minded attitude that Simon Mayo/BBC aired this. There've been some decidedly anti-angling stances from the beeb in the past and this interview didn't have any of that attached to it.

More please!

F

Fred Bonney

" genetic imperative"
I picked that up too Nigel, and specificly wrote it down to be used at a later date.

T

Thalia

I've tried to use that one when I've picked her indoors up, slung her over my shoulder and carted her upstairs! Might as well have gone fishin tho'!

captain carrott

Reaction score
his habits have the touch of genious about them.
a rather eccentric bloke but very inspiring all the same.