River Wye

T

Thalia

Has anyone got any knowledge of the current level and colour of the Wye on the Goodrich stretch? Thinking of fishing at the end of the week and would like it not it not to be low and clear or 15ft up after recent rain.......

D

Dave Burr

The Wye is still very low and running clear, the recent rain avoided the catchment area - again! - so we are still at or below summer level.

T

Thalia

Cheers Dave. Just spoken to a fishery manager in that area and he said it was a little up but fishing nice! Expecting plenty of rain tomorrow though which if the volume they forecast does arrive will take the river the other way - too much so!

S

Stoner

just back from a week nr Goodrich and the Wye was the lowest I've ever seen it. Really in poor condition for thsi time of year, and 2ft or so down from opening day.

Tried all over, with the same results....very few barbel, but plenty of chub.

T

Thalia

Cheers again Stoner. Guess the fishery manager was spinning a yarn trying to get me to go.

How big were your chub? What was the magic bait - pellet? Or was it low and clear enough that small bait like casters were needed?

Griff

Reaction score
I'm off to the Wye in a few weeks - hope the water levels return to normal before then. Had some good fun there earlier in the year tho.

S

Stoner

Hi Thalia

the chub were all a good size - between 3.5lb and just over 5lb, but a friend had one of 6lb on the nose.

pellets and small boilies were the succesful baits....surprise surprise...

The river is a different proposition altogether with proper levels. Plenty of barbel normally. Let's hope for rain.

good luck

Griff

Reaction score
Hi Thalia,

Meant to say - had a mixed bag of Chub and Barbel last time I went. The barbel most ly after 6 PM. Nothing of any great size, but great fun nonetheless. All on sweetcorn. With a dry crumb,hemp and sweetcorn mix in the feeder.

BTW I'm a complete newbie to barbel that probably explains why I'm happy with modest fish :eek:)

Good Luck.

T

Thalia

Griff - I've been trying to catch barbel for years. Had a few and my biggest is about 8lbs. Not a monster but I don't care and I'd happily catch 5lb-6lb barbel any day of the week. Just keep enjoying....

Thanks for your words guys - giving the Throop a try tomorrow. Low and clear but I'm going on the hemp and cster approach to see where that gets me.

He who dares Rodney...

T

Thalia

Might well be giving the Wye a go in a couple of weeks when more rain has landed - hopefully

T

tommo

Bear in mind that the Wye below Hereford has the Lugg entering at Mordiford, and any rain falling in the Lugg catchment area will impact on flow levels from here on.

This means that the flow rates on the upper river can sometimes marginally different to those on the lower river, as the Lugg catchment area is different in geography and geology to the upper wye.

Tommo

Griff

Reaction score
Just home from two days on the Wye below Hereford. The river is High, Brown and flowing fast. Plenty of trees floating by even an upturned canoe !

No barbel but a couple of Chubb just over 4LB.

Griff

marcus ballam

Reaction score
is there web site ( the E.A.?), that gives up to date river reports (temps etc), as i'm off to the wye for 5 days next monday.

regards

Marcus

T

tommo

Marcus,

The river is dropping off slowly now, but the best bet for next week is to ring Woody at his tackle shop. He checks the levels every day.

Failing that, I'll put an update on here on the days I'm fishing over the next week.

Regards

Tommo

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Thanks Tommo, that would be great!!!!

According to the weather forcast you are due some frosts, hope its not going to affect the barbel fishing ( though another 6lb chub would be ok....):)

T

tommo

Marcus,

A slight frost last night, but a colder one tonight....

Am planning to be on the river on Saturday PM, so hoping the weather may have settled by then.

I'll let you know either way

Tommo

T

tommo

Unable to get out today after all, Marcus, but I can tell you that fish are still being caught, despite the cold snap.

Average daytime air temps are 5-7?C, with it dropping into the minuses early evening.

With low clear water, it's not exactly classic conditions for Barbel but they are still coming out.

The severn is producing the goods too....see the Severn thread on BFW.

Hoping to be out early next week, will keep you informed.

Regards

Tommo