Fishing chairs

B

Barry Kneller

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a fishing seat with adjustable legs - like the carp low chairs - but with legs that are about twice as long. Also needs to be as light as poss. (about 5lbs or so)

Ta

Barry

C

Chris Bishop

Avoid the Fox Excel at all costs - had mine just under a year and it's literally falling apart.

I got it because the legs extend quite a long way and it's light.

B

Barry Kneller

Thanks for the tip Chris - I was thinking about the Fox chair. I have been told that JRC do a lightweight chair but I don't think that the legs are are long enough - anyone know what the dimensions are.

A

Andrew Thomas

I've got that JRC, it is indeed much lighter than the oppo, I'll measure it for you, watch this space.

A

Andrew Thomas

It's the JRC Classic. Weight 6lb, rear legs 10-15", front legs 12-20", measured from under the "seat" to the mudfeet. I've had mine about a year, no real problems. Still in good nick.

Hope this helps.

B

Barry Kneller

Thanks for the dimensions Andrew, Ive just had a look at the classic & it seems ideal - JRC also do a much higher chair, Its called the Hi-lux or similar but I think that may be too high.

A

Andrew Thomas

One thing Barry, watch out for the plastic part that houses the extending leg spring and lever. A couple of mine have worked loose, easily fixed in seconds with a spot of superglue but you wouldn't want to lose a chair leg in 6' of muddy water in the dark when you pick up the chair. Keep an eye on them.

R

Ron Clay

The problems with ALL the fishing chairs I have seen are as follows:

1: Much too heavy. Can't they make one that weighs less than 2 lbs?

2: Difficult to carry. I have stuffed my arm up on several occasions walking long didtances on the Trent.

3: Leg adjustments are awkward. Took a portion of my thumb nail off once trying to push in the silly little pins.

4: Much too expensive!!!

J

Jon Moores

I'd definately recommend a JRC Hi Lux. I've had one for some years and it is ideal. Apart from being heavier than 2lb (don't want much do you Ron?) I don't find it suffers the problems listed.

B

Birds Nest

Had a Fox Adjuster for a year now... never any probs... Apart from the weight as Ron said...

R

Richard Drayson

Ron is dead right. Why can't somebody produce a really comfortable (with armrests) ultra-lightweight but strong chair with adjustable legs?
With the sort of materials around these days it should be quite easy.
Tell you what, the first company to do so would mop up the market.

S

Stuart Bullard

My Fox is fine in terms of wear, but it is a pain in the arse to carry. By this I mean the fact that the legs dont snap into place and therefore tend to swing out. And guys, come on, they are hardly heavy......!

B

Barry Kneller

re. the about point about chairs being too heavy - some years ago I wanted to buy a 4 leg pole roller, every one I looked at weighed at least 6lb - some as heavy as 10lb - the tackle dealers all told the same story. ie. they have got to be stong so therefore they must be heavy! I wasn't satisfied with this so I made my own - finished weight was just under 2lbs. I made 3 altogether & all 3 are still whole & 2 of the 3 are used weekly. I have thought about making my own seat but would need to be able to weld ally for the best result. I don't think I could get under 2lb but about 3 to 4 seems feasible. Maybe when I get some time I'll have a go at it.

A

Andrew Thomas

Personally I don't feel 6lb to be excessive...........but then I'm not as old as Ron !

R

Richard Long

I have been using the Chub Trent chair, has legs that lock so no flapping and they extend using a twist mechanisim. Stapped to the rucksack with a bungie I can walk for miles with both hands free

R

Ron Clay

To me, the worst thing about coarse fishing is carrying the gear. It's purgatory.

Fishing chairs are the pits. Come on Fox, JRC, Chub etc and start innovating. There is a fortune to be made for a company who designs a really good, comfy, light adustable chair that wieghs less than 1 kg. Even if it costs more that ?100.00 I might buy it because it is just the most used bit of kit that a coarse angler owns.

And yes I am getting on and certainly would like to get a REALLY good fishing chair.

Unfortunately it doesn't exist.

Don't forget that old adage tackle makers - Necessity is the mother of invention!

C

Chris Bishop

Ron, I showed you the answer when you came out with me the other week.

Get yourself an extra-large unhooking mat and sit on that.

That way you can dispense with the chair in all but the most brass monkey of conditions.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ron,
I used to use a padded seat from a match anlers seat box, Shakespeare & Daiwa do them for ?5 and they fit in a netbag or holdall.

B

Ben Lovell

Barry, I got the JRC lightweight chair, the legs go quite long at the front but not so much at the rear but then thats how its sposed to be.

You'll get to see it on Sunday at warren!

B

Barry Kneller

Thanks to all those who helped me make my mind up. I've just been out & bought a Hi lux - might need a mod or two but its very light & easy to get up from. The best part of it is that the missus paid for it! Hows that for a coup.