Piking on tidal stretches of river.

sam wadman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm fortunate enough to be a member of several clubs in the south-east with access to the tidal reaches of rivers like the ouse, adur and arun. I was wondering if anybody has any experience of fishing these parts and would be able to point me in the right direction regarding which points of the tide are worth fishing for success with the resident pike?

I believe the change of tide direction means the pike have to reposition themselves with the flow every 6 hours but am unsure weather it's best to fish with the tide flowing in or out?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Interesting question Sam and to be honest I don't know.

I would assume that a receding tide would be better especially the nearer to the estuary you get but i'll be interested to hear others opinions.

I'm thinking of camping out on peg 1 at Collingham and fishing for pike. My intentions are no way intended to annoy any barbel anglers that queue behind me.

captain carrott

Reaction score
hehehehehehehheheheh
love it pikey,

as for the state of the tide i fished the tidal trent years ago regularly and can say i never noticed any pattern.

ingy

Reaction score
been thinking about fishing on the tidal trent this year for pike whats best deadbait / spinners plugs is there a good head of pike

C

Chris Bishop

Some allegedly fish better on different parts of the tide, but tidal rivers are all different and tides change as you work through the different phases of the Moon from springs to neaps, in terms of how far salt comes up on the flood and how coloured it is.

Best just try it and see, one of those things you can't really put a benchmark on.

Trying it out for yourself is surely half the enjoyment of pike fishing.

Sam there's quite an active PAC branch in your part of the world run by Jon Cook, why not get in touch with them - they have meetings/talks etc.

V

vid

Pikey Paul due to collingham being pretty quiet during the day how about pike then barbel later I have been hatching sutch a plan for awhile is it a good option?

Paul H

Reaction score
I was joking about doing it just to wind people up but...

I see no reason why the weir pool should not hold pike the same as any other it's just no one goes there for pike.

Your plan sounds flawless to me.

You could bait up to attract prey fish during the day while piking and then switch to a barbeling over the same bed of bait come dusk.

captain carrott

Reaction score
pikey it does my first pike came from the opposite bank. as did my first 30.

P

Phil Heaton

Pikey,
There are now a few who fish the opposite bank, especially by boat and yes there are plenty of pike....

captain carrott

Reaction score
it was about 1990 though mate. my first was a 22 and half.

on a spratt an as my then fishing partner cal pointed out you'll never catch owt on here on spratt,

Paul H

Reaction score
I've always wanted a mate who'll tell me 'You'll not catch owt on... (whatever I'm using)'

They seem like good luck charms.

Someone, when I was starting out and suffered from inadequate tackle (ooh er), told me my spinning rod and very old reel was the worst set up for carping they'd ever seen.

I landed my then pb 6lb carp 5 minutes later.

V

vid

thanks pikey etc I thought it could be a good idea now I will give it a try perhaps later on when the weather thins out the less hardy anglers help me fine tune my thinking if you can cheers

captain carrott

Reaction score
to be fair he ahd been piking on there for more than 10 years and never had a 20.