Black bass

flightliner

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a group of Black bass ambushing fish that anglers were "bringing to hand"while fishing on a large park lake (not an english one)They were completely impervious to the angler laying his rod across their backs to clear them away, they moved but only inches then drifted back. As soon as the guy put his keepnet in the water they appeared from nowhere, they just knew it was going to be "dinnertime".
I know predater men may like the idea of some to go for in the uk but I was peturbed at just how bold they were.
Would you like to see them in your local waters?
ps-- they ranged from about two lbs op to about four lbs.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
When i lived out in france i did a bit of fishing for them. I would target them with lures, surface poppers where a great bait and a very exciting way of fishing, the bass where very aggressive and the takes would be quite explosive. Another good way of catching them was to stalk them with freelined lobworms again a very visual way of fishing. They where not "mugs" all the time once they had been caught on lures they soon wised up and could be quite tricky to catch again with this method.

Dont know if i would like to see them over here? They are certainly a very sporting fish, not sure how they would cope with our climate?

(my dad and nephew with black bass)

001-18.jpg

002-20.jpg

dezza

Reaction score
There are two species known as "Black Bass" in the USA.

Largemouth Black Bass - Micropterus salmoides and

Smallmouth Black Bass - Micropterus dolomieu

The LM black bass prefers warm water and a tropical climate and is indigenous to the southern states of America and Mexico. They are the USA's most popular species and fishing for them is a major industry over there. LM Bass are an aggressive predator that can be taken on a whole range of lures, spinners, plastic lures and flies. I spent 27 years of my life fishing for them. They are great fun and I have caught them up to 7 1/2 lbs in weight.

The SM Black Bass prefers cooler water and does well in rivers. This is the species that would do well in the UK as it is indigenous to the northern states of the USA and Canada. They are extremely hard fighters that can be caught on flies, small plastic lures and spinners. I have caught these fish up to 6 lbs in weight.

Personally I would not recommend either species in the UK. We have enough predators as it is.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
The ones I saw looked as if they were the large mouth variety, It looked like roach that the anglers were catching and some of them were around the half lb mark but prey size didnt seem to put the bass off from having a go.
When one took a fish the whole group took off after it just like seagulls do when one has a morsel of food.
No, I dont think I would like to see them over here either! loads of turtles/terrapins in the park lake too----*orrible little b-g---s!

mick b

Reaction score
All the lakes and barragems (drinking water reserves) in Portugal hold big stocks of Large Mouth Bass, and the fishing is free providing a freshwater license is obtained beforehand (€1.50 approx)

Take a cheepo telescopic rod and a packed lunch, a few surface lures and plenty of drinking water and enjoy a day where you will be alone apart ftom the shepards and their flocks.

Be sure to leave before 7pm as this is the take-off time for the zillions of mozzies.

The carp are in these places are unfished, so if you fancy a go take a 2kg pack of frozen 'corn, they're 60lb+ so be prepared, oh and a brick to un-hook the terrapins.:wh

uscarper

Reaction score
We have both species in my area of the states. lg mouth state record is 13lb, sm mouth record is 9lb. Both are voracious feeders.lg mouth do prefer warmer water than sm mouth bass. And smallmouth do prefer rivers as Ron stated in a earlier post. Both species could live in Great Britain. the smallmouth would probably do better of the two. They are very sporting and can be caught with a variety of techniques. There main food is small fish, Although small is relatively speaking a lg mouth can eat something almost as big as it is. they also love crayfish. smallmouth love rocks, largemouth love weeds. both are members of the sunfish family, not true bass.

dezza

Reaction score
In South Africa, smallmouth bass used to love eating freshwater crabs, especially those with soft shells. Many were the times that on landing a SM bass, lots of shells were regurgitated by the fish.

I should also point out that SM bass are excellent eating. Where they were plentiful, I used to like to keep a couple a day.

They are far better eating fish than trout.

uscarper

Reaction score
your right Ron they are fine eating. i keep a few from time to time. large mouth are good to. we also have a bass here thats called a kentucky spotted bass. they are colored like a largemouth, but have a small mouth. they usually reach smallmouth bass sizes. they prefer cool, clear, deep rocky waters. we tell the difference here from a largemouth by the mouth size and they have a patch of teeth on their tongue, a lg mouth doesnt have these. same here to with the soft shelled crayfish, smallmouth love them. my pb smallie 3lb came on one fished at night in a local river.

The Monk

Reaction score
Some small stockings of Black Bass took place in the 40s/50s in Surrey, Dorset and East Anglia, stocked close to or on USAF bases and for private use only, but they didnt survive however, but did claim fame by being present in Brook Bonds Freshwater Fishes tea card series

dezza

Reaction score
Do you know what species of bass they were mate? I have a feeling that they could have been LMs, which wouldn't do so well in our climate.

The Kentucky Spotted Bass was stocked into certain Natal KwaZulu reservoirs some years ago. I don't think it ever did well, having to compete against the LM bass. To my knowledge I never caught one.

jack sprat

Reaction score
The Dorset population of large mouth black bass were present (a breeding population) from 1935 (stocked by Leney) until about 1980 in a club lake. A nearby pond had them until the 2000s (transferred from the other pond many decades before) but change of ownership (no access at all any more) means that the current status is unknown. The bass behaved mush as FL said; inquisitive at times. I'd love access to both types on a regular basis just for the fun of the different styles needed to catch them. Had some s/m bass in Canada; great fun.