pole advice

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a pole

I did have one a few years back - nasty cheap 11m pole - bounched like 70's bar maids boobs

I'm thinking of buying a pole - Idealy at least 13m - I thought I'd go second ahnd with a budget of £100 ( I don't use the pole much)

What make should I look for and what advice would you give to me when I look at 2nd hand poles

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Bu$$er all advice Paul. The only time I use a pole is an old Shimano margin pole for crucians or still water roach up to approx 8m and also my son’s ancient 12m prestons (that he kindly left in the garage) to ferry bait/hook length to the other side of the river under a raft/bush/undercut or similar.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jerry[/FONT]​

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Buy the Longest Pole with as many top kits as you can.

A 16 metere pole will be lighter and stiffer than a 13 metre pole but you can still fish it at 13 metres. Decide what you want the pole mainly for, if it's for Carp go for a dedicated Carp pole there are plenty around, you will have to pay more for a Match Pole though as they are generally lighter and stiffer poles.

I'd seriously consider a 8.5 metre or 10 metre Margin pole if i was buying a pole for the first time, they are very strong and robust and usually reasonably lightish, they do usually only have 2 top kits though but i would fit them with a doubled up number 5 elastic and a doubled up number 8 elastic.

When buying a secong hand pole you want to check all the sections for any splits or cracks especially near the end sections where the pole connects together. Put the pole together so it's at it's full length and hold it to see how much droop there is. If the Top sections already have elastic in them, change them for new elastic as you can be sure how long it's been in there.

If i was looking at buying a New Margin pole i would go for the Middy HotSpot V2 9.5m Margin pole, they sell new from around £99.99p if you shop around. I have the Middy 8m White Knuckle Thriller Pole, at just under £70 this is a superb margin pole for the money.

Cheshire Fishing - Middy Poles

Last edited:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I'm not sure you'll get much of 13m pole for £100. I've got a technium and I'm not sure I'd want to fish it at that length for any amount of time but then again I'm not the best pole angler the world has ever seen. I have read of people using it at that length however.

Now feel free to tell me to sod orff but why do you need it ? I can think of about 3 pegs where you'd really need, except west end of course and to get amongst the islands there you might need 14.5m if you have power kits on (asked fishing buddy and he uses a 14.5m at full whack with the shorter power top kits)

But as I said tell me to burger orff if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Edit: not much even second hand on eBay for maver or shimano poles.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Fair enough m'lud. Maver and shimano, mainly because you'll find them in the biggest numbers particularly maver. I'd try admag first so can look at one carefully. Look at the number 4 section very carefully. Look for chips and stratches, you might get away with both if they are minor but if any section has a crack no matter how small, leave it alone.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Oh and if you are fishing soft pellet you must get them right or the damn thing will fall off before it gets there, hence I really only fish short with them, I find it too frustrating.

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]As I said before I’m very selective as to when I use a pole and probably not the ideal person to give advice but why do you need a16m pole Paul? Is this for far bank canal fishing or river fishing? If not, IMO if you are using a pole on still water, and you want the bigger fish you are far better fishing to the marginal shelf that will vary from water to water but in many instances will be within 7-8 metres on most, and on some considerably less. IMO the only reason that most ‘local club’ matchmen all want to fish their top of the range poles at maximum range as that is the bait line during a match and they don’t have the confidence to break the rule and come in. [/FONT]

sagalout

Reaction score
My total pole buying knowledge is based on the 2 I have owned, a Maver Genesis 12.5, 1 power kit (top 2) and one match kit (top 3), exellent for the original £250 RRP and normal price of £199, but difficult to fish above 10/11m. I sold mine and bought a Maver 131 (13.5m) for the RRP of £450, 1 match kit and 4 power kits. I find it very difficult to fish above 11.5m.

I don't believe the 131 is any better than the Genesis in reality. I should have kept the Genesis and bought some Drennan Universal top kits :(.

I will be interested to hear what you can buy for a £100. I think it would make a good FM front page, "The producers gave us a £100 each to buy a second hand pole and then set some challenges".

Jimmy, prepare you soft pellets in gelatine, much better than "raw" pellet.