PRAWNS ?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or had any success using them as bait , how do you hook them ?
Has anyone had any good sessions using less obvious baits ?
As the Mrs said when I first met her
IM WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING ONCE

ingy

Reaction score
try them nothing tryed nothing gained i would try anything once (well most things)

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Use them for Carp in the summer and proved to be a good bait on some waters less on others. I have also tried muscle and cockles and both have caught carp and tench.

But never for Barbel so I'm not sure but I'd think if carp will go for them barbel will too.

P

Paul Christie

I know someone who does well on them. He's definately had Chub on the Dane and Carp from stillwaters.

North bank or South bank Harry?

honslow

Reaction score
Good for chub and perch as well as carp and tench.

F

Fred Bonney

Harry,defrosted prawns too long in the freezer, have caught me barbel.
Threaded onto a size 4 long shank is what I've used.
Mussels too,not that they, usually stay in the freezer too long.

B

Bully

Hi Fred. Do you use them whole or unpeeled? Personally I prefer to fish them whole. I have always thought I get better results...

E

EC

A carp puddle I know of had its match record broken by an angler using prawns last winter.

I have caught on salted cockles in the past too, the vinegared ones were no good though for some reason!

F

Fred Bonney

Stuart, they were Tesco peeled prawns,used as an experiment,having got lost in the freezer and well past their sellby date.
An experiment that worked, for once.
I'll give the whole unpeeled ones a try.

The Mussells, by the way, were out of the shell and cooked ;o)

blankety blank

Reaction score
cooked prawns are dynamite on commercial carp waters. I took one such place apart one afternoon on prawns. everyone else was using pellets and didn't do nearly so well.

E

Evan

I have had some damned good tench in particular on peeled prawns.... the bigger than average ones (not the King size / Tiger ones - silly money for those and better inside me than inside the fish... ). Carp are also quite happy with them, especially attractive to some decent Crucians, alternating with red paste (when one slows down, switch to the other, and vice versa - works well for me).

Hooked the prawns all three ways - threaded thick end on to point and round the bend for camouflage tho point a little obscured; back to back through the back of the prawn - shaft hidden but bend of hook visible - and hair rigged (using a wire spring thingy). Found no discernable difference between any of these methods in either takes or hooking up ability.

Excellent bait.

Mussels good but a bastard to keep on the hook. Anyone with a solution to that one ?

And I think there have been a number of references to vinegar being a put-off for Carp and fish in general.

Never tried the cooked but unpeeled variety, but have thought of doing so on the river - infested with crayfish - for chub.

The chub can be felt to have "crunchy" bits inside themselves when handled, so anything resembling a Ronnie 'n Reggie might well work with the bigger ones.

That said the recent rain and onset of autumn has facilitated slug collecting time..... !

B

Bully

For mussels, thread onto the hook (ie hook through a number of times).

Weeman

Reaction score
Prawns are a superb chub and barbel bait. Get a bag of (cheap)frozen peeled prawns and give them a quick zap in the microwave to toughen the outer skin a little, then thread them onto a size 6 or 4 hook. Don't feed too many, I've found that they fill the fish up quite quickly, but they are easily my favourite stalking bait (especially for chub).
One downside is that they are irresistible to crayfish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
virtually everything is irresistable to a crayfish.

I think a cray fish would even try to eat rons hat.