Fly Line Backing

T

Terry D

Is there a big difference between fly line backing and braid, i.e. can I use braid as a backing (or any other thing come to that), or do you really have to specify actual fly line backing. If so, any recommendations out there please.

Reaction score
The big difference is probably price between Braids and backing line. A good fishing braid would be wasted as backing too, unless you needed over 30lb breaking strain for some sea monster maybe. But then you only have about 30lb BS on salmon fly lines. Nylon monofilament of 25lb was used a lot in the past, Diawa Sensor and similar. Malcolm Greenhalgh (angler,angling writer, flytyer, and all round good egg) may still use it now. A flat floating mono is best for shooting head set ups. So if you want to save money, just get a bulk spool of a good discount 25lb mono. But if you are using modern large arbor fly reels, you may have no choice but to lash out for expensive Micro backing as a lot of these reels will not hold much backing. Hope this helps Terry.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

As the main backing, other than shooting backing for shooting heads, I prefer good old braided dacron which is thin, cheap as chips and lasts for ages.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Any of the braided dacrons from Lureflash or Shakespeare are fine. Not more than ?3 per 50 yards either. I normally use the 30lb stuff.

Reaction score
Thanks Ron,Terry is looking for brand names, and I forgot to say which I use, hence the question. I had so many fly reels, and was always changing, so I used Mono. Now I use Tortue in 30lbs, as it is available on bulk spools in my area. I use Cortland Micron backing on river small trout reels to get a good amount on for the odd Seatrout. I have no idea if such thin backing will be prone to tangles, none so far. Tangles, that is!