Crayfish

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
Dear All

Having spent the last couple of evenings on the Kennet I was plagued by crayfish.

My question is does the presence of crayfish around the bait attract or repell chub and barbel?

Cheers J

B

Bully

Given many peeps think both eat them then I doubt they would repel??

I'd be interested to know other thoughts though......

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
I've always caught chub and barbel when there are cray about. Doesn't seem to affect them feeding much, just annoying the hell out of me!

F

Fred Bonney

The only problem I used to find on the Ouse,because they're not in the Trent.........yet,was you needed to use a tough bait.When the cray twitches stopped, usually, the fish were feeding.

L

Laurie Harper

Chub certainly predate on crays, although some of these big signals would probably be a bit too much of a mouthful for a chub of less than record weight... I caught (?) one on the Lea recently that was nearly the size of a small lobster. You'd need a VERY tough bait to keep something like that at bay - something like the rock hard boilies the carp lads use in the big lakes in France.

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
When fish eat crays it tends to be when they are shedding their shells to grow a bigger one, so they are softer and their claws aren't so sharp.

Thanks Fred. I was finding when the twitches stopped my banded pellet had gone!! Must get them more secure!!

F

Fred Bonney

I'm not certain that's the case Julian.

Oh yes,they love the rubber flavour ;o)