20 year holiday, gosh, how things have changed!

bigcol

Reaction score
Hello all,

Mine is a seemingly familer storey.

I last fished in about 1991 at the age of 20 having been really really into my fishing as a teenager.

Back then carp fishing was just emerging as I recall and went on the bandwagon. Two carp rods, optonics etc.

Never caught a thing doing so !

All my tackle then got stolen one night when someone broke into the garage at my parents house where I still lived back then.

That was, no more fishing.

That is until a month ago. My oldest Son is 11 and I thought it a good idea to take him. Off we went to the fishing shop, bought some gear and went to the river Thames. Turns out he is isn't quite old enough as he got bored.

Never mind, we'll see how he goes.

Thing is, it awakened me!

I've been almost every Saturday afternoon since, been to a few commercial fisheries and bloody hell, have caught loads and some of what I consider a decent size.

Not like the bad old days!

Methods have changed, tackle has changed, everything has changed beyond recognition from how I remember it.

I'm really glad to be back into it and am looking forward to going next weekend already, it is only Monday!

I have splashed a fortune in the last month on new gear though, don't tell the Wife ;). Not looking forward to the credit card bill either :mad:

I now need to get fully up to speed with the new developments, although I've been doing some 'method feedering already ;)'. Also need to hone in on the best waters near me. Saying that, the local tackle shop have been very very helpful, mind you they should be with the amount I've spent.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I did a similar thing about 18 months ago after a holiday in Torquay , tried fishing again after a long break and wow suddenly its fun and you can catch loads, hope you enjoy your return mate

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello bigcol and welcome to FM.

Try the young lad with a short whip, no reel and simple float rigs to catch his attention. Find a fishery with a good head of 'silver' fish and off you go . . . .

bigcol

Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcome.

The situation with my son is that to go for short periods of time means splashing out for a peg or two at a commercial and not getting the use out of it.

We have been on the Thames in the lock cut at Boulters Lock where I used to fish as a youngster and caught loads of little'uns. Things is now there seems to be nowt in there?

Anyone know anywhere local to me that is free? Probably not as the geographic of those that will read this will not be local. I'd like nothing better than to go (free and catch) for a few hours of a weekday evening whilst we have the long evenings.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I would look around a bit around your area for evening tickets it could save you a few bob on the commercials, see if you can find some fee stretches on tribs of the Thames, it can be fun catching what you see.

Welcome anyway, there is a good bunch of people on here.