pike

Jamie Varcoe 3

Reaction score
hi all
im new to all this pike fishing. this will be my first winters piking and i plan to do alot at my local resivour. i was wondering if any one could help me. on what baits to use what to look for at a swim that may attract the pike there. i would be great fall if any 1 could help thanks jamie

L

Les Clark

Jamie ,i`ve had a look at your profile and it seems that you do all types of fishing .
Could you give a bit more information about yourself ,age ,do you plan to fish alone or with someone who has experience with pike fishing .
I not being nosey ,but just trying to find out what you know about pike fishing as pike are very fragile and are easly damaged if not handled the right way .

C

Chris Bishop

Hi Jamie,

The obvious answer is join the PAC which will put you in touch with other pike anglers.

Our website has a lot of info on basic rigs, fish-handling etc; along with details of local branches, many of which hold regular meetings and talks/slide shows through the winter.

Jamie Varcoe 3

Reaction score
hi well im 15 i plan on fishing wid some m8s and there dad and he fished for a while i was wonderin if u had any tips i no the water is very deep in places and there are a few snags that i no of i was wondering if this would help if yes plz reply

C

Chris Bishop

Without seeing it or knowing a bit more, it's hard to say. Your best bet is learn the kind of features which attract them.

Drop-offs can be good as can areas close to snags or cover like weedbeds.

Finding the prey fish helps, get there early and look for bream rolling, roach on the top etc and fish these spots.

If you're using two rods do something different with each - throw one out as far as you can, pop the bait up and twitch it back towards you a couple of yards every five or 10 mins.

Try float fishing the other one down the margins or find the drop offs and fish a bait down near the bottom of the slope.

This weekend's going to be quite blustery, fishing into the wind can often help, as can adding some scent to your bait like mackerel oil as you get a fair bit of undertow on reservoirs and big pits and oils create a scent trail.