Deep diver's from drifting boats

D

Denis Goulding

Hi All,
well as it has gotten colder the pike do not seem active enough for us to hit them on the troll.We have botom bounced
and trolled dead baits,under oards and on the drift,with little success of late,Fergal my fishiung buddyhad one of 18lb's bottom bouncing dead baits but that was really it...After 5 hours trolling last sunday with a couple of takes and 1 small jack,we had enough..So we started to drift ,this time christy was on board,he was bottom bouncing i had a float out the back and i had a go at plugging..Now i have plugged from the shore and i have had some deal of success enjoyable but no brillant,mainly small fish,i put on a fire tiger big mac as we were in aprox 15 feet of water and i knew whe trolled the big mac hit 25 feet,a few cast later really giving the plug lot's of depth and action while i was watching the bait come to the top,i gently pulled it across in front of me and lifted it from the water,low and behold a pike about 10ish had followed it up,i turned to christy and wallop the fish drowned me in spray after having another bite at the plug,but no hook up,still i was delighted to get a bit of action and slightly amazed to say the least as i have plugged from trhe boat on a drift in more favourable conditions and sturred nothing,well to cut in short in the next half hour i hit 5 more pike and landed 2,lovely stuff..Now ROB i know u are out there and the rest of u guy'sgimme a hand here,what plug's deep divers from the boat would u use this time of year,the fish nearly alway's took or hit the plug on the way in,but u could see them following in up from the murky depth's,if u were watching closely.Plugging turned a truly crap day into one i will remember for a long time..Come on enlighten a trout angler with your knowledge of an awsome predator..

Regards,
Denis..

S

Steve Burke

Floating plugs are easily my favourite lures for trolling, and I much prefer them to spoons, the traditional favourite. The reason is that you can so easily control the depth.

There's a maximum depth a given plug will dive do which you can vary by the length of line paid out, the speed, how high you hold the rod and less conveniently by the diameter of the line.

I choose the plug by the depth I want it to work, and have a variety of patterns that work in a particular depth range. These will include patterns that work best at a variety of speeds, and I carry a mixture of different colours.

For instance, if I wanted a plug that dived to about 20 feet but had an action that would work at a slower speed than the Big Mac I might well try a 5 inch Flatfish. This has given me both big pike and big perch.

D

Denis Goulding

Steve,
Thanks for the info,greatfully accepted indeed,but i was really on about plug fishing from a drifting or even anchored boat,any idea about what deep diving lures to use...also Steve,where can i purchase a 5 inch flatfish????..Thanks again steve,,..

Regards,
Denis..

S

Steve Burke

The last 5 inch Falatfish I got was from The Friendly Fisherman. Actually, it was probably the almost identical Kwikfish, which seems to be made from the same mould.

The only difference seems to be in the grade of plastic. Is it my imagination or do Flatfish dive a little deeper than a Kwikfish of the same size? Anyone?

R

Rob Brownfield

Denis..I am loath to give u any advice since u kill all the pike...but since they eat all your salmon...here goes.....

I would try some Spinnerbaits. Cast, let them hit bottom, then work them back in a slow, steady retrieve. U can work them closer to the bottom and slower then a plug, and they are far less likely to snag bottom. Carl Garret took an amazing catch from Llangdegfod....or however u spell it, doing this.

The sinking Flipper jerkbait is also good for this method...and if u get a slow sinking one, it can be worked very slowly, with long pauses.

As for plugs, the Manns Stretch+ lures are very good at getting deep. Harris do them.

I find that the deep divers that have a huge lip but a short "Big S" type body have too much "action" for cold water use...I prefer the slowere actioned longer baits.

Hope this doesn't help..lol

D

Denis Goulding

Steve,
I will have a look for them at friendly fisherman,cheers...

Rob,
Well i have never killed a salmon,but i have eaen an odd pike they are delicious mmmm,mmmmmm,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..lol.
Thank's once again for the tips i will have to go and get a few more lures,my credit card will be on fire,,lol
I will let u know how i get on monday..
Regards,
Denis..