Weed Problem

Ginger

Reaction score
Fished the river at the weekend,water level up a little and coloured,looked really good.
As soon as i started fishing i was picking up weed and debris that was being washed through the swim.
Moved the bait from the faster water to the edge of the crease and although this reduced the amount of weed i was collecting it didn`t solve the problem.
I was not just getting weed around the lead it was also masking the hook and bait.
Any suggestions how to overcome this problem?
I`m fishing again on Friday and they have forecast rain showers for the rest of this week so i`m expecting conditions to be much the same.
Any advice most welcome.

Lark

Reaction score
Ginger,
Had the same problem on the Thames a couple of weeks ago after a bit of a surge. Fine strands of loose weed, top to botoom. 2lb line was coming back looking like tow-rope every cast! The good news was that I went out a few days later and there was no problem. I think the loosened weed must settle down quite quickly after the initial increase in flow.
Hope that's the case for your venue anyway.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Putting a float stop about three feet above the hook will help to stop the weed from going down to your hookbait.
I am experiencing the same problem at the moment on stillwaters. Especialy when fishing facing the wind. The floating weed which the ducks have ripped up just crawls up the rod.
The opposite to you I know but the end result is the same.

Simon K

Reaction score
Ginger, I would suggest you wait until after the first frost and flood to continue your "Quest for Barbel" at this venue. This problem will be ongoing 'til then.

Take it from someone who knows. ;-)

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Lark, I think the Thames has just had it's flush through of all the weed which was static in the summer. Fished last weekend and had stupid amounts of weed coming down.

Lark

Reaction score
Lets keep our fingers crossed for this weekend then. A mate of mine fished the Kennet yesterday and said it was pretty clear where he was - so we can hope!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The weed problem is normal for this time of year. If you can, fish upstream so that any weed collecting on the line will move away from the rig. You'll need to keep an eye on the rod tip though. Look for drop backs.

Also, the heavier the lead you use the longer you'll be able to keep the rig in the water.

Ginger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Baz, i tried your idea of using a float stop above the hook,it certainly helped to reduce the amount of weed around the hook and bait.
Thanks mate.

Matt, thanks for your tip, i never thought of fishing upstream and watching for drop backs.
I`ll try this at the weekend.

Simon, don`t you fish for Barbel at this time of year?

Ginger

Reaction score
I know that some well known and respected anglers fish rivers when they are in flood (Gary Knowles has written a couple of articles in Coarse Fisherman).
Surely debris being washed down the river must make fishing almost impossible.
How do these anglers overcome such problems?

Simon K

Reaction score
Kev, I tend to do my recce work in the Summer when it's low and clear. Round this time, the weed gets pretty bad (as you've discovered) so I fish for other species elsewhere. Once the first frost has started to kill off the weed I wait for the first proper flood through and then look to fish after the second flood.
With the Barbel and Chub numbers down on last season now, there are very few fish of a size to give me a new PB, so I'll be up in December onwards to do the occasional targetted session.
I'm more interested in targetting an 8lb Chub this year, so will be spending most of my time "elsewhere" on the Lea.
Glad to see you're catching, tho'.

P.S. Don't ignore the Relief Channel in Winter (November onwards) for some Big fish of Both Species. Especially when the river is unfishable.

Simon K

Reaction score
Kev, your e-mail bounced back.

The answer to your question is......yes, exactly the same.

J

john ledger

Ginger
Dont know where you fish but where i fish on the Upper Trent is horrendous for weed and in all honesty its hard to stop.
On the lower river it is not so bad and a darn sight easier to fish

Ginger

Reaction score
Thanks again Simon.
I`ll give that a try.

John i take it you`re fishing the lower river at the moment.

J

john ledger

Ginger
I love the upper Trent because its more scenic and natural but i know i will get more than my fair share of blanks,its just seems a bigger achievement to catch barbel top side of Shardlow.
I was fishing the Burton Mutual water with Graham a few weeks back and he agreed its not easy to catch barbel on a regular basis like it is on the lower river.
I do think when the river has extra on it in future yes i will fish lower down.
Aint i a bloody chicken bottling out when i blank

Ginger

Reaction score
John, i`ve had more blanks this season than i care to remember.

J

john ledger

We should start a club up for top ****ers sorry i mean blankers.
Mind you not much difference

Simon K

Reaction score
What? You've had 2 sessions this season (I believe?) with 3 Barbel in a go?

That's a Major achievement at the Green, regardless of their size. Especially this year?!

Ginger

Reaction score
Simon,i`ve also had ten blanks on The Green this season, and some good advice from a couple of helpful guys.( Redtail and Bob).

Transformed my fishing.