ANGLING GROUPS

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Angling groups have been formed all over the country for many years for various reasons.
To what extent of seriousness they take them selves, I suppose is for them selves to decide. But once they come into the public domain and actively seek to become recognised for whatever reason, surely it is the job of the chairman or designated leader to keep his members in order.

If for instance there are one or more members of the group continually causing controversy amongst the angling fraternity, then that person or persons should be dealt with and told the error of his/their ways for the greatness of the group.

Personally I can?t see any difference between an angling group or large scale angling club in how they should be run. Otherwise they become a laughing stock, and are continually attacked for their lacklustre ways.

Agreed or not?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Agreed Baz - but if the group is a bunch of friends who fish together then it is up to the it is upto the group to police themselves and outside parties should not be allowed to influence the group.

T

Terry D

Just because someone has controversial views, does not mean they are a trouble maker. Sometimes someone has to ask the difficult questions and sometimes the boundaries need to be pushed. Where would we be if everyone conformed to the wishes of the few.
If indeed the persons concerned are just out to cause trouble or nause, then by all means deal with them accordingly.

B

I?m not a 100% with you on that one Paul.
Fair enough it is up to the group themselves or chairman as I have said, to keep matters in order. Surely outside parties could be listened to as constructive criticism. Otherwise why put their business out to the public? Unless it is for their own self gratification.

Terry.
All matters should be questioned. The person or persons may not be out to cause a problem. But if it becomes blatantly obvious to outside parties that they are causing a problem, should not the chairman or person elected to be in charge step in and have a quite word. Otherwise what is he there for?

F

Fred Bonney

Baz, how can being controversial, be considered as having, "lacklustre ways".

Perhaps the Chairman or, designated leader, is happy.Controversial publicity, may be seen to be better, than no publicity.
It depends what the Group are after,surely?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
But if the group is not an "Open Membership" but by invite only and the group is publishing for the sake of self gratification, then it may well listen to other "outside" opinion but it is up to the members of the group to self regulate.
What if there is not chairman of thr group Baz - who regulates then.
If there is not membership as such with no membership fee,and no rules then the group as a whole must decide if some one is causing bad press.

B

There are those who think that good or bad publicity is better than no publicity at all.

I think it would be better for such people to listen to what others are saying and act accordingly.

Maybe lacklustre ways was the wrong phrase to use. I was meaning people who don't really give a monkeys about what other people are thinking outside of their group. As long as they get the publicity that is all that seems to matter.

There are plenty of successfull groups/clubs about that we never hear of.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz
Are you thinking of any one or any group in particular. I don't want to upset a certain group - being from Sheffiled I'm waiting for my invite to join. :)

checks post for invite - still not come

B

Re: your last but one post Paul.
Like you say, if nobody rules the group, then maybe certain people are blood sucking off each other and are too frigtened to say anything about it.

RE: your last post.
Do you have somebody in mind that you want to discuss?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz old boy have I missed something?
I was guessing you was having a pop at the DVSG and I'm waiting or Ron or Lee to induct me into the secret society.

rolls up trouser leg and puts red spotted hankie on head

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Lord Paul, Baz's opening post was the equivalent of a 50mm boilie on a size 2 hook without a hair rig in sight.The boy is up to mischief!Spit out the bait while you still can.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Nigel old chap - Thanks for the warning - but I too have a hidden agenda, by defending the rights of these groups to set their own standards without outside interference I am hoping to get an invite to join that most noble group of all. Can 't say to much till I'm inducted
stands on a chair and wears an apron backwards

B

The group/club I was refering to shall remain nameless. It was a Northern group/club is as much as I will say.
But this particular group /club was run with a rod of iron by one man. And nobody but nobody stepped out of line. All I am saying is that this is how groups /clubs should be run.

Paul on the other hand links the weaknesses that have been pointed out on this subject to the DVSG.

As anybody can see, my group and the DVSG are completely diferent in the way they are run. And I will repeat for the hard of reading that I am talking of "my" group.

Too late nigel, it was an anti eject rig. (o

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Nice try Baz but I was not linking the weekness to DVSG hopes Ron's not reading this as I'll never get in I'll defend that group to the last - just like I did at Rorke's Drift.

They don'y like it up 'em!

Pins a white rose to his right arm and checks post box again

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz I would love to debate this issue further but the post man has just arrived and the discreet invite is here.

I must remain tight lipped from now on but look for my name in connection with captures of specimen fish in the future.

dons tweeds and dear stalker and attaches kipper to his coat for the induction ceremony

B

Paul.
Who was it that braught the DVSG into it?
It certainly wasn't me. I suppose even Terry D will be swivelling on his heels now after making the statement he did.

B

And here was me thinking that Lord Paul was a man of substance.

B

Even Woody agrees you tried to bring the DVSG into disrepute Paul.