poxy resin

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I have been looking at cheap rods, i picked one up the other day in a shop and it looked and felt ok, it was a Ron Thompson barbel rod,it was made entirely with poxy resin and retailed for ?15.00, i wondered if they were any good.

alan

Reaction score
Richard, i have not used the barbel rod, but i have 2 beach casters, a boat rod and a spinning rod from RT.

apart from an eye that was replaced due to my stupidity i have had no problems at all.

the spinning rod has also been used for carp, and is currently what the kids use when we go, its handled fish to 17 1/2lb and has been used to cast weight of 9/10oz(stated weight on the rod is 1-2oz) and could probably cope with more.

the boat rod has had smutts to 11 lb, and my mate who has got the same rod has had cod to 18, bass to 15, and smutts to 15 on it with no problems

my beach casters have put big baits a long way, on a field i can put 1 6oz weight with hook length and bits to simulate bait 140+meters,

as i said ive not used the barbal rod, but the RT rods ive got ive used and abused and they are still going strong, and i wouldnt hesitate to get another.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
They look and feel the buisness and for ?15 you cant go wrong, i only usually go on the Trent twice ayear so they will be ideal.