Using a Spod on rivers

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know a few that spod on the tidal Trent. They use them at the top of the tide when the river is almost static. That means that the bait can be dropped into deep water without it ending up washed away by the current. That's the biggest issue when trying to spod on rivers, having no real idea where your bait ends up due to currents. It's like chucking maggots in on a much smaller river but scaled up massively.

jollyboy

Reaction score
I know a few that spod on the tidal Trent. They use them at the top of the tide when the river is almost static.

You have kindof answered my next question also with this reply

That's the biggest issue when trying to spod on rivers, having no real idea where your bait ends up due to currents. It's like chucking maggots in on a much smaller river but scaled up massively.

Have you been ear wigging on the conversations we have had here (there's about 14 of us in the compant who fish on different levels)
You have written exactly what I said earlier about applying the same tact as you would when loose feeding while float fishing.... Its good to get feedback from others I would like to hear is anyone has encountered any pitfalls whan using a Spod on a river

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Just to expand on what I have also raised here when float fishing you obviosly pass a bait over a bed of feed where as with a static bait you could be feet away from the feed

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just to expand on what I have also raised here when float fishing you obviosly pass a bait over a bed of feed where as with a static bait you could be feet away from the feed

You could easily be feet or yards away from the feed when ledgering, hence the use of PVA bags/mesh, feeders and baitdroppers. However, you could easily be passing a float over beds of nothing whatsoever if you get your baiting/lines of flow wrong when trotting a river.

sam vimes

Reaction score
its the getting a large amount of feed down in an area in a faster time that raised the question about using a Spod

Nothing wrong with doing it, just make sure that you know or can make an educated guess as to where the feed is ending up if you do it on flowing water. It's also worth knowing whether big beds of feed make the fish spooky on the river in question. The Trent is a perfect candidate for spodding, even more so on the tidal where you can use the peak of the tide to your advantage. I don't fish any other rivers where I'd even contemplate getting a spod out.