Fosters of Birmingham

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I placed an order with Fosters of Birmingham for several items and recieved a confirmation e-mail on the 11th of September.

A few days later they rang to tell me two items wouldn't be in stock until the middle of the next week so about the 20th.

I've heard nothing since, recieved nothing and had no reply to the e-mail I sent asking why I'd recieved nothing and heard nothing.

I doubt I'll be using them again unless they come up with some fantastic excuse...

The Americans may have a bl@@dy weird society but at least they've nailed customer service down.

S

Scott Whatmore

I ordered a Barbolino Coach holdall from them on line. A week or so later I got an email saying it was out of stock and wouldnt be in for 2-3 weeks.

When I rang them to say I wasnt happy the man apologised and said they had had problems with deliveries from Garbolino. He offered me another more expensive replacement and free postage, which I accepted. 2 days later the original Garbolino holdall arrived.

I got what I'd paid for but will think twice before I use them again, and definately won't use the online service.

Paul H

Reaction score
I've just phoned them and apparently the missing items came into stock today (convenient) and were dispatched immediately to ensure I receive them tomorrow.

My order consisted of one Shimano Hyperloop Barbel Power, one Shimano Aero RE5000, One Fox Warrior landing net and a bulk spool of Sufix mainline.

I'll compare what arrives with this list and report back.

P

Phil Heaton

My insurance company (Axa) uses them and on the two occaisions when I have had a claim I found them to be friendly and helpfull.
They did not always have what I wanted in stock, but told me so and even advised on reasonable alternatives. Items that I placed on order were available within a couple of weeks, as advised and any mistakes were put right at their cost.
Since then I have bought a few items from them based on their service.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
never used them for delivery.... but can't fault the shop lads, I always get first class service and they know what they're talking about. WMAC (my other local tackle shop) maybe cheap but they only stock the basics and they don't know they're arse from they're elbow IMHO.

Fosters are on the move soon to bigger premises(after Xmas methinks) the current shop is quite big but it's cramed to the rafters, they do tend to run out of stock quickly though and seem to have to wait ages for delivery sometimes...which can be frustrating at times.

Paul H

Reaction score
Well it all arrived the day after as they said. Strange that it had all come into stock the day I decided to chase it though or am I being paranoid?

Everything appears ok, well packaged, except the Shimano reel which looks like it's been out of the box before, not damaged but maybe a display model.

Rod I ordered was the Shimano Hyperloop barbel power 1.75lb tc, they sent me the newer model Alevio barbel power (same rod different name from what I can see).

All in all good service apart from the delay and lack of communication.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I would have thought the Alivio would be cheeper as it's the entry level rod XT30 carbon the Hyperloop is XT30/XT60.

Andy Peters 2

Reaction score
Problem with Fosters is they are too big and dont care anymore, its like Bennetts,but I have been using a new online tackle store BFT Bargain Fishing Tackle for my Reels in particular bft bargain fishing tackle. very good prices, less than 48 hour shipping and will take orders. I liked them. Range is a little limited but they will order for you and wont bump up the cost. Check them out www.bftbargainfishingtackle.co.uk the have discounted items from all the top names with up to 70% off RRP

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Foster's almost exclusively for a number of years when I lived in Norway.

I must have ordered well over a couple of thousand of pounds worth of goods from them, every year, for over a 6 years period, and never received anything but supreme service from them.

Even today, although I try my best to support my local tackle shops, I still order from Foster's with nothing but full confidence.

Like all shops they are dependant upon manufacturers, so please don't judge them on the performance of others.

For the record, I have no association with Foster's or any other retail outlet.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I have used Fosters for about 20 years without a hitch. If an item is out of stock I have always been advised.

They also provide a very good rod building/refurb service. A friend who lives in the far North West regularly sends his old, but trusted, rods to be 'looked after'