Metal Rod

peter phelps

Reaction score
Hi,
I`m not sure what I`ve got, it`s an old rod I bought second hand from a junk shop abut 15 years ago. It is 3 section,14 ft long, the handle section longer than the other 2 which are equal in length. It seems to be made of aluminium with brass ferules. Were metal rods common ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It could be a tank aerial rod. They were fairly common in the 1950s.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If the taper is made up of "steps", it's probably an Apollo "Taperflash" from the 1960-70s. At the very top of the cork butt, there should be the rolled metal collar of a ferrule - with patience and WD40 or GT85, you should be able to remove the butt, giving 1x 2-foot cork-covered butt + 3x 4-foot tapering sections.

They were probably the most successful metal rods, classically teamed with a Rapidex centre-pin, but were soon superseded by fibreglass, which was much lighter and didn't share the Taperflash's nasty habit of snapping if used on a really freezing day!

The other metal rods which used to abound after WW2 were made from tank aerials. These made such horrid rods that I don't think anyone collects them, but cash was in short supply, and there were a lot of obsolete tanks about.

Doubt if it's worth more than ?15, but - if you can persuade it apart - give it a use. Once you can hit dace bites with a 'flash, you won't be able to miss them on carbon!

R

Robert Woods 1

My first rod was a two piece tank ariel pike rod that I used to catch crusians from pond at back of my house.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Peter old chap
I think you will find that if you write the words "Very Expensive Barbel Rod" on the side with typex you can then sell this rod to Deanos for the bargain price of ?85.

Tally Ho

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
A Yorkshireman prepared to part with ?85 for anything? I think not. You dont become a rich Pie eater by spending tha cash on rods tha knows.