need help with a closed face reel

Shaun Cope

Reaction score
Hi my father has been given a closed face reel(abu)its a few years old and he needs to change the line ,but has no idea how to do this.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Same as a fixed spool, Don't see the problem - its only the "line pick-up" thats different between the two types of reel.

P

Phil Heaton

Do you mean access to the spool inside the cover....

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Sorry mate, with the abu the outer "shield" should twist and unlock, then lift off. This will reveal the spool (behind the line pick-up) then its much the same as a fixed spool.

Shaun Cope

Reaction score
he dont know how to access the spool and i aint got a clue as i never use them

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
take the cowling cover off (it should twist off backwards) then put the handle in a upright position then grip both the handle and reels stem firmly take hold of the winder cap and twist away from you (clockwise)and remove it then grip the spool and turn it backwards to release it stick a pencil through the hole and pull the old line off,pass the loose end of your new line through the cowling & tie it onto your spool,put the spool back onto the reel (twist to lock) re-grip the handle and reels stem and screw the winder cap back on (anti-clockwise) don't over tighten just hand tight will do ! re-fit the cowling with the line passing through it,put the reel onto a rod butt,get some one to hold the new lines spool with a pencil through its hole and wind on the new line.

Shaun Cope

Reaction score
dont know off the top of my head ,will see him 2morrow so will find out then.