Ahoy Floatmakers! If you had to choose....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Okay,the newly made floats have reached the varnishing stage and its time to decide on what varnish to use; is it to be a matt finish or a nice shiney gloss, or even something between the two??

Does it really matter in the overall plan of things;Will it affect your catches just because a gloss float might catch the sun and possibly put the fish down?

I read Bill Watsons float makers manual where he made the comment "put a matt finish float into water and it looks as shiney as one finished with gloss" or words to that effect...never tried it myself but it may be true..

It could be said that gloss varnish is tougher (I read this somewhere) but I'm not too sure about that!

Personally I fancy finishing my latest selection to a nice matt finish but can't quite make up my mind on what varnish (I'm talking shop bought, off the shelf stuff) might be the one to go for.Obviously it has to withstand some rough handling and not dull the nice flame orange tips too much,which I find tends to happen with matt varnishes!

I suppose a nice 'clear' varnish would be ideal-not a 'yellowy' colour which looks dreadful..

So if anyone has the name of a proven matt varnish that doesn't need anymore than 3/4 coats (anymore would be a waste as my floats are not built to last a lifetime!) i would be very pleased to hear of it!

ps I understand most shop bought floats are matt finished these days so it must be the current trend and who am I to argue with that.....

pps Cost is immaterial !!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Most varnishes are ok if your floats are not made to last a lifetime, I have been using gloss from Wilkinsons which seems fine while a friend has been using poundlands own and it seems fine to me. With regards to gloss or matt, gloss it first and if you dont like it simply give it a rub down with some fine grade wire wool.
I know that there are many fine float makers out there who really do know their job far better than myself when it comes to a proffessional finnish and I dont doubt for a moment that they will post on here to give you many alternative choices.

George387

Reaction score
personally I never use Varnish as I've said in the past I prefer a 10% sheen Water Bourne lacquer, its quick drying and non messy like oil based varnishes :)

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
bill watson was a clever chappie when i've tested the shotting on floats matt floats do look shiny but are they reflective under the surface ,it really doesn't matter that much unless your fishing ultra clear water ,if its clear enough too see fish flashing or shiny things glinting in the sunlight then go for a low sheen or matt finish ,ronseal quick dry clear matt will do the job for you .its milky white but dries clear .its a little thick in consistancy .i have a small tin ,i brought to try it ,and like the advert says "it does what it says on the tin" that said i don't like the finish so don't use it,i do use ronseal clear gloss & dark oak on other things like float box's and they give good results ,but i prefer a low sheen water based lacquer (different brand too George) for my floats ,i keep some in a jamjar for dipping the floats into for a even finish ,actually three different grades low/medium/high gloss .its all of thin consistancy so i have too build up a nice glass like finish with several dippings .

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations...

George387..I'm assuming 'Water Bourne' the trade name of the lacquer you suggest??

I haven't looked on the net yet to see if I can find a supplier (perhaps you can recommend one who might do mailorder) otherwise I will check the local outlets..

Apologies if similar threads have run in the past-just like to keep abreast of whats new and also to help other budding floatmakers..

Thanks again!

George387

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations...

George387..I'm assuming 'Water Bourne' the trade name of the lacquer you suggest??

I haven't looked on the net yet to see if I can find a supplier (perhaps you can recommend one who might do mailorder) otherwise I will check the local outlets..

Apologies if similar threads have run in the past-just like to keep abreast of whats new and also to help other budding floatmakers..

Thanks again!

No mate it isn't called water bourne that simply means its made up of water base rather than oil based so you can clean your brushes out under a cold water tap rather in white spirit, it also not as heavy as oil based varnish and take a shorter time to dry by several hours, I normally can get 2 coats done in a 4 hour period.

The type I use is morrells severe use, 10% sheen its designed for high capacity floors such as bars or bar tops themselves.
here is a link for you to their website but if you find a local outlet they also do 1 litre bottles which is cheaper than the 5 litre advertised on their website.
Morrells - Home - Wood Coatings - Translucent Finishing - Waterborne Lacquers

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
George387: Fortunately I have managed to find a local Morrells and very helpful they were too-almost like the old fashion shops of yesteryear with good personal service!

Unfortunately they don't sell 1L cans of the 'Severe' lacquer but they gave me a small sample pot x 20% sheen for me to try out on my floats which was very good of them. They do 5L cans for £23 approx-rather expensive but worth it if it does the job!

They said that dipping was probably the best way of applying it but I don't have the facilities to do this so I will use a brush.

I will apply 3/4 coats unless you think this excessive??

Anyway, thanks for your help with this!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Probably not appropiate for this thread but, for a quick cheap fix , pinching the wifes/sisters/girlfriends nail varnish works. All colours including mat and clear and costs nothing. I have often touched up a seagull/crow quill with this and it works for a cheap throw-away float. I have mentioned this before but, dont get it on your fingernails by mistake especially if it doesn't match tackle bag!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I thought I'd been rather clever in buying up all the stock a Southern paint factor had of a top name yacht varnish in small tins, only to discover 4 years later that the stuff has a 'shelf life'. It's gone dark and treacley and sets a skin everytime I open the tin now.

Enquiries reveal that most finishes nowaday do indeed have a shelf life...

For that reason I'm certainly not going to buy a fancy and expensive large can of top varnish, water or oil based. If only they'd do the stuff in small cans, say 250ml.

Ronseal Matt varnish will do for me. It's a bit yellow, true...but it's cheap, it works and it's as tough as old boots.

Incidentally, the flouescent paint on your float tip will be a lot more visible if you leave it unvarnished. For that reason, and a few others, I use Revell.

Last edited:

George387

Reaction score
SNIPPED

I will apply 3/4 coats unless you think this excessive??

Anyway, thanks for your help with this!

I normally use 6 or 7 coats to achieve a rich deep shine to my floats if making them for others if they are for myself I use 4 or 5 coats as I like my floats a bit dull in appearance.

Tee Cee I don't know if you got my reply to your PM as I'm having some computer probs at the moment? I have also received a couple of emails from people asking about this, I'm not being rude guys I tried to reply but my computer crashed so if your looking for an answer or info please send another email or post a PM on here.
regards
George

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely no problem George......I didn't receive your reply but you've now given me the information I require!!

Thanks again!