Angling clubs in the south

jimcc

Reaction score
Hi Guys

For the past few years I have been fishing on day ticket or free waters but I am now contemplating splashing the cash and joining a club. I am based in Southampton and enjoy winter river fishing for Roach, Chub, Grayling etc and Tench/Crucians in the summer.

My two local clubs are Eastleigh & District and Test Valley. Can anyone recommend either of the clubs for the type of Angling I enjoy? My other options are to look further afield at Ringwood or Christchurch.

It would also be good to know what FM members think are the benefits/drawbacks are of joining an Angling club.

Any help is appreciated!

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Many benefits to joining clubs, obviouslly, if you are used to fishing D/T stretches and commercials, the first thing you will notice in the long run is the financial saving.

You will also be contributing to keeping whichever club you join alive.
Benefits too to you as an angler? There is a great sense of ownership when you belong to a club. Often, hopefully, pride and care in a particular venue or indeed all that are on the ticket.

You will maybe find yourself with more time and willingness to experiment without the fear of wasting a tenner or whatever you pay for a day ticket.
There can be social benefits too if that is something one looks for, opportunities to have input by joining committees, bailiff teams or works parties.

It's a very special and worthwhile thing, joining a club. Go for it.

jimcc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Will your comments are inspiring and reflect many of the things I have been pondering. I have lost track of the amount of times I have chickened out of trying a new day ticket water and gone for the safe option of a water I know well!

Mark