Starter Kit.....Any recommendations

Gaz Jamieson

Reaction score
Hi, I finally went trout fishing with dad last week and really enjoyed it. I have trawled, pardon the pun, local rags and cannot find any equipment. Has anybody any ideas of where to locate decent second hand or a new starter kit? Budget probably ?100 tops.

Cheers, Gaz

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Your safest bet is to go to a local tackle shop and buy the individual items that he recommends. Tell him you're just starting and don't want to to spend more than ?100.00. Some tackle shops sell used equipment.

keora

Reaction score
Yorkshire Game Angling in Rotherham has a good website, and do a range of mail order kits for both beginners and experienced anglers. The prices are competitive.

www.yga.yorks.com/

E

Evan

See

http://www.swiftys-fishing-tackle.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=25_222

Swifty's aren't always the cheapest - some real anomalies amongst their items (see their Fox rods - some there at more than Fox's own RRP !!!!) - but these kits look OK.

Myself I would suggest that you go for the Cortland kit in the 9 foot length if you can manage the extra tenner and you already have a landing net from coarse fishing. Best rod, best line of the kits advertised.

Otherwise Swifty's own number 2 kit looks good (specially if you haven't got a suitable landing net) and spend the ?7 saved from budget on a beer or two !

There are loads of other similar kits around. Just go browse...

I haven't looked them out but Bennetts of sheffield sold me my first fly fishing outfit for the vast expense of 50p per week from my pocket money when I was just 15 and too many years ago for me to wish to remember. They are still doing good value for money, tho comments on here would suggest that customer service standards have slipped a little of late - I suppose individual caring attention can't be sustained when turnover gets into ?millions but there it is....

As I say, loads of kits around, but the Cortland just caught my eye browsing earlier and I thought it looked good value and quality for the money before I saw your post... Karma or fate or what ?

It is really really important to buy a decent rod and line when starting out fly fishing, as otherwise your wrist will ache to no purpose, the cooking string masquerading as flyline will puddle and tangle around your feet and your heart will break at the sight of fish put down by the flash 'n splash disappearing into the sunset without a backward look.

One extra tip if I may, as a good value for money way to practice casting and catch some exciting fish, is to find a carp puddle that allows fly fishing and has the room for a back cast. Stick on a brown beetle imitation, feed some floating pedigree chum mixer (if floaters allowed) and then go thrash....

will cost you about a fiver or so for the day ticket as opposed to the thirty odd notes you need to plank out for the privilege of thrashing a trout water for casting practice and you WILL catch a carp or ten in addition, a serious fish on light fly tackle !

Brilliant fun and you can learn to cast at real fish for an economy price compared to trout....