Police probe fishing attack

I

Ian Cloke

POLICE are investigating an attack on a partially disabled South Derbyshire man who almost drowned after being thrown into a pool while he was out fishing.

recommend this article to a friend The mother of the victim, Margaret Farmer from Overseal, is demanding the attacker is caught after describing how her 31-year-old son was rushed to Burton's Queen?s Hospital for emergency surgery following the incident at Oakthorpe Floods on Thursday afternoon.

Mrs Farmer told The Mail that her son, who suffers with a specific condition which affects his co-ordination, cheated death after becoming entangled in his own fishing line when he was dumped in the water.

"He was with an older friend fishing at Jacks Pool at about 2.45pm when they were approached by this bloke," she said.

"He just confronted my son and threw him into the water. He got hooked on the line and nearly drowned. It is being treated as grievious bodily harm."

Mrs Farmer?s son, a former bailiff, had previously suffered a broken forearm which also hampered his efforts to get out of the river.

"I think it was an adrenalin rush, he didn?t realise how bad he was injured straight after getting out of the water," said Mrs Farmer.

"He was soaking wet and said he thought he?d got a hernia, but his injuries were bad and he was taken to Queen?s Hospital where he had to have surgery.

"The man who did this is a coward and must be caught as quickly as possible, he is not going to get away with this.

"My son is badly damaged now, he?s in a right mess and can hardly walk. We?re having district nurses come round to see him."