"The Big One"

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Congratulations Tim.

What a story and what a fish. Absolutely fantastic, well done.

Let's hope it is the biggest sturgeon ever taken on rod and line. Even if it isn't, you've got a memory that will last forever.

Awesome!

honslow

Reaction score
The Sturgeonator! Well earned title! Well done Tim.

T

The Monk

nice one Tim, we saw a big sturgeon last time we were over there, didnt fish for them though, the white is an excellent fish though

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Inbteresting one this.Whats the greater achievement landing a gigantic fish you have not located nor indeed hooked or say a 1lb dace that you have hunted down and tricked into taking your bait?

Is big always beautiful when it comes to angling acheivement?

That said well done to the captor and one day I hope to get after them myself simply for the thrill of playing something that big.

L

Laurie Harper

Amazing creature. The thing that struck me most was its estimated age - 120 years - and presumably from the way it you describe the fight, it's not ready for the old folk's home just yet.

JOHN LEE 4

Reaction score
absolutely incredible fish Tim, never seen
any thing like it!!!, I would like to know
how big they can get.Well done, good luck on your next trip.

T

The Sturgeonator

Thanks everyone, these fish can live up to 260 years old so this one was just middle aged really. I was told that they can grow over 1500lb.

honslow

Reaction score
Did you manage to pick up a copy of Angling Times when you got back Tim?

T

The Sturgeonator

I did thanks Greg and i have just realised who you are.Great article.I hope you liked mine.

honslow

Reaction score
Sure did mate. May have to get out there myself one day (or just dream about it!).

T

The Sturgeonator

Don't just dream about it mate do it but make sure you have your weetabix before you go.I booked through Angling Direct Holidays and found them very reasonable. They sorted out flights, accommodation and of course booked my fishing trips. If you want to know any more info if you decide to go then let me know.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Tim,

What was the daily cost as I looked at the website and couldn't see the rate anywhere?

Perhaps the dace may have to go on the back burner for a while ;-)

T

The Sturgeonator

Hi Nigel,
I'm not sure what the individual daily fishing rate worked out at in the end as i booked the whole 2 week holiday as a package with Angling Direct but i think the fishing worked out at around 400 dollars a day thats for the boat not each angler but you would need to email him for prices as i'm not sure.As for the Dace, well i can see where your coming from but even now, that fish is the last thing i think about before i fall asleep and the first thing i think about when i wake up i'm not so sure i would feel the same way about a 1lb Dace so i guess that kind of answers your question.

Myth Buster

Reaction score
Nice fish but unfortunately this is not the "biggest fresh water fish ever landed on rod and real". My brother lives in Vancouver Washington and fishes for these on the Columbia River. He has personally caught and released 14 footers on his boat. It is known that there are even larger ones than this in that river. He has caught so many of these monsters as well as turning his friends and family onto them that I doubt he even knows what the biggest was. I remember him taking me out when I was a teenager back in the eighties and I landed an 8 footer, 6 footer and a lot of other honorable mentions just on a one day trip. Back then, according to Washington law, you couldn't keep them under 3ft long or over 6ft. I happened to catch one right at the 6ft mark so we ate that one, released all of the others we caught. Now I guess they changed the law and you can't keep them over 5ft long. I'm not trying to discredit your 11 footer it is a nice one, just want to clear this up for all of the readers. There are bigger ones and alot of them. My experience with catching these is one that I'll never forget either. There really is nothing that compares to fighting one of these dinosaurs. Congrat's on your catch...

C

Cakey

nice one Tim ...................................was it called Arnie ?