Digital Camera's

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I'll soon (probably after Christmas) be in the market for a new digital camera...I've almost made my mind up on a Canon EOS 350D.

I know there's a few guys that have them on here and I'd appriciate you're opinions. before I shell out.

also I'll be buying a remote for the camera....which to be honest I haven't got a clue about... help!

any extra worth buying with the camera?

Cheers folks

Dave

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I recently bought the Canon Dave and it's the dogs...

I already had a Canon film slr so had a better lens than comes in the kits and the 550ex flash.

I bought the body with a 2GB 100x Flash card with it but some of the camera bodies come with an offer from Canon to send off for a free 256MB card which I did too.

I bought a digital camera magazine and they reviewed the Canon against the new Nikons and an Olympus, Pentax, etc...

Even though the Canon was a year or two older than the others it still got their top marks.

I can't fault the image quality and on the 2GB card it'll fit around 250 RAW files (the highest quality it takes) or 520 odd top quality JPEGS.

The 100x flash card isn't really neccesary unless you need the camera to write files to the card as quickly as possible (sports or wildlife photographers). The lower write speed cards are cheaper even at the same capacity.

Paul H

Reaction score
By the way I paid around ?520 from Wharehouse direct on 9 months interest free credit. The APR after the 9 months is criminal though so get it paid off if you take that route.

I think the price may have come down again since then, I don't dare check in case I choke on my own bitterness.

:O)

Paul H

Reaction score
Er, it'll be cheaper and how good does a camera need to be if it's not your source of income?

Good enough reason for me.

Dave, I don't I'm afraid, it's got the usual self timer facility and my need for a remote would be so rare I didn't bother.

I did have a remote for the EOS 3 I own but it got nicked once when I was burgled and I never bothered to replace it.

It depends how far you need to be from the camera when you fire the shutter as to whether you need a cable or infra red remote.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The 350D is a great camera for the money and produces images for magazine standard publication.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

My D20 (was the next model up from 350D) is very easy to use (really ought to read the instructiuon manual by haven't yet) and takes great photo's.

The best remote is expensive at ?100 and not very long. The extension cable is 10m long and a further ?45. (I had to have to shop around to get those prices)

The remote has a button that you can press easily without frowning. However, good as the button is you dont really need the button (re the extention lead) because it also allows you to number of shots at intervals defined in seconds and refocuses each time. I set mine to take shots at 4 second intervals.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
"why get the 350D when the 400D is out any day?"

as already mentioned price....and I'm a numptie photographer who doubts very much that he'll get anymore for the extra. I've got a bit of saving to do so probably won't have the cash till I've got the Kids sorted out for Christmas first (or rather the wife has)...not many pay days left between now and Christmas (paid monthly)....Now that's frightening!

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Andy thanks for that I like the idea of a remote/air release... I'll have a look around at compatability/price closer to purchase time.

spose the other things would be a (Small)tripod and lenses.

A

Angler Saxon

I've had a 350D since february. I think it's a great camera and wouldn't change it. I buy any extra Compact Flash memory cards I need from ebay, prices are usually a lot less than from high street retailers like Jessops.

T

The Monk

before you buy have a look at the Nikon D80, Nikon are forecast to regain the edge from canon, and avoid Jessops like the plauge