Wychood Solace Low Chair ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Like the look of this to replace my Nash Nomad chair but no-one local has in stock.

Is someone able to give me an idea of weight, whether the chair is aluminium or steel and general pro & cons please

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had a look at this one when I was after a new chair for the same reasons as Milord. I thought this was the one but it wasn't very comfortable and didn't do it for me.Can't remember much else about it which speaks volumes and went for a Nash Sub-Lo instead.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Thanks Skippy. I did look at the Sub Lo Indulgence but felt it a little heavy for what i'm after. Comfortable though

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Yes..it is a bit heavy compared to some [try carrying a Daddy Long Legs more than 10 yards] but I reasoned that I would spend more time sat in it than carrying it therefore weight [if not ridiculous like the DLL] was secondary. I also wanted arms because I've got long legs and I need a bit of leverage to get out of a lo-chair now AND I wanted a chair on which the back legs either locked [with a pin] or couldn't collapse because of the design.

The Sub-Lo ticked all the boxes for me. Its also not too low when the front legs are fully extended. For all those reasons and the sort of fishing I do it was the best I could find by some distance....and I sat in and lifted a few believe me !

chav professor

Reaction score
Could be worth a look at at JRC X-Lo stalking chair. i bought it to replace an old fox chair. it is aluminium, incredibally light weight (in comparison to what i was used to), has a low profile making it suitable for keeping low by the river or lake.

It is also comfortable and quite wide. Only the front legs are adustable, but this seemes to work well and if weight is an issue, it is definately lighter due to this design.

I don't know if you can mention the site where I purchased this from, but if I say 'AMAZON' rainforrest - you should get the picture.........

jrcchair014.jpg

One thing that does bug me, why don't chairs come with a carry strap???? I have seen some 'luggage' that holds a chair - but that is rediculous..... (if your moving a lot...)

note: this was an impulse buy, i did not test loads - but impressed??? yes...... doubles up as a gaming chair!!!!! anyone for 'Black Ops'?????

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Could be worth a look at at JRC X-Lo stalking chair. i bought it to replace an old fox chair. it is aluminium, incredibally light weight (in comparison to what i was used to), has a low profile making it suitable for keeping low by the river or lake.

It is also comfortable and quite wide. Only the front legs are adustable, but this seemes to work well and if weight is an issue, it is definately lighter due to this design.

I don't know if you can mention the site where I purchased this from, but if I say 'AMAZON' rainforrest - you should get the picture.........

jrcchair014.jpg

One thing that does bug me, why don't chairs come with a carry strap???? I have seen some 'luggage' that holds a chair - but that is rediculous..... (if your moving a lot...)

note: this was an impulse buy, i did not test loads - but impressed??? yes...... doubles up as a gaming chair!!!!! anyone for 'Black Ops'?????

Thanks mate. The JRC X-low is the another option, but may be a tad to low for longer sessions (48hr).

I've got good & bad news ....

Good - There is a chair that comes complete with carry strap. Its called the Nash Nomad. I've had my one for nearly 10years now. Used for weeklong & day sessions. I'm yet to find a better allround lightweight chair

Bad - My one is discontinued

Good - Nash has bought out an updated version called the Nash Nomad Ultra-Lite Indulgence. It is based on the Sleep System bedchair design (ie mesh base with a thick foam removeable cushion). It is one of the lightest chairs around at 4.3kg (i weighed it) but not as light as my original Nomad at 3.2kg

Bad - I bought one of these yesterday and returned it same afternoon. I sat in it for around an hour watching telly at home & during this time the mesh stretched and left me feeling i was sitting in a hole. I had been waiting for an updated Nomad for years. Very dissapointing.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Right...this is spooky but I've got both a JRC X-Lo and an original Nomad.

The JRC is brilliant,super light but though I found the one piece back leg arrangement ideal for sloping river banks it is not so good on level ground for me and my long legs. In every other respect its a great chair and I use it for everything except a long static session...that's when the Sub Lo gets an airing. More comfortable,adjustable legs front and back AND can be set to be not so low as the JRC.

The Nomad [which the Sub Lo replaced] I loved too until it started to collapse on me. I dont know why but when I started fishing longer day sessions on level ground I found the back legs just slowly worked free of their clips as you jiffle about and I got fed up with them slowly collapsing leaving me thrashing about like a beetle on its back. That's why I replaced it. Why it should do this I dont know but I did snap off one of the nylon front leg clips so maybe it just wasn't all locking together like it should. Anyway...I cannot fish thinking that I could be flat on my arris at any moment so I retired it. Shame...nice chair and in good nick bar the missing leg clip but I can't see me ever using it again now.

But the JRC is a great chair,it really is incredibly light as chairs go and as I said my "go to" seat for anything but long static sessions.Better than the Solace IMO provided you can deal with low chairs [not everyone gets on with them] and you accept that the design is such that on level ground ,no matter what you do,the chair will be angled backwards and therefore so will you be. For comfort I need my knees to be level with my hips,not higher,if I'm to be sat still for a long time.

Good chair though...you really should try this one.

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Ah now this is interesting. I actually prefer the slightly tilted back angle of my Nomad (why i aslo found the Sub Lo to be comfortable). I suffer from bad neck & back & this is the only chair i've found that doent exagerrate it. Thing is, after nearly a decade i'm starting to crave some arms to lean on for comfort & to get in & out.
How does the X-Lo compare sizewise/Heightwise to the Nomad S-kippy ??

Is it me or do the arms look to be situated quite high ??

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Sizewise the JRC is smaller than the Nomad....heightwise I'm not sure [I'll get them out in a minute] but I'd say probably about the same. Funnily...despite JRC calling it X-Lo I didn't think it was lower than any other "lo" chair.Depends how you set it up too. I always have the legs extended if I can to raise the seat & keep my thighs as straight as I can get them. That's another reason why I got the Sub-Lo. It just sort of "fits" me.

The arms on the JRC I worried about too.They look high and that they'd get in the way but they dont.Its a well thought out chair IMO. Perfect for me and I'm a bit over 6 foot...most of that being leg.

I'll dig them both out and do some measuring.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

Right

With both chairs legs at their lowest setting the Nomad is visibly a tad bigger due to it having a deeper [longer] seat [front edge to back edge] and a higher seat back but it is a much more "upright" design in any case. Both seats are about the same height off the ground [11 in] and the backward "slope" of the JRC seat not so pronounced.

Seat back height on the XLO is 24 in v Nomad 30 in
Seat width XLO 18 in v Nomad 20 in

Extend the front legs fully on the JRC and this is what you get

Height of seat off ground XLO 15 in [front] sloping to 11 [back].

Weightwise there isn't much in it ...JRC slightly lighter.

Any other measurements you want ?

Having just sat in both of them the JRC is the more comfortable to me because of that backward slope.The Nomad is just too upright for me with its legs not extended...and when they are is when I get problems with the rear legs collapsing. No question...the JRC is the smaller/lower chair by a little bit but the arms make a huge positive difference. I would never again contemplate a chair without arms.

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Excellent infomation. Many thanks :). It will rule out the JRC for me though as i need something with at least the same height back as the Nomad.
With the Nomad i can just get away with sliding down the chair & resting my head for those occasional 40 winks :wh. Anything with a lower back will make that very difficult

bigchub

Reaction score

Mate to solve all your "chair carry strap" problems all you need to purchase is this - MULTI STRAP

This is no normal strap extremely strong and can be used for carrying a number of pieces of tackle. Comes with two clips at each end for attachment to d clips on the Thinking Anglers long tip top and base unit, plus it has a looped Velcro system which can be wrapped around any chair or bedchair for easy transportation[

chav professor

Reaction score
cheers mate, looks good. Must get one when I get some spare cash (pocket money lol)! Just recovering from buying Mark Wintles book 'Big Roach'!

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Well, found a Solace Low chair to try out today. Have to say, a little dissapointed. The seat base depth really isnt long enough imo and the legs only adjusted by a couple inches.

Back to the drawing board for me. Its looking like the Chub Lo-Lite Xtra is next one on list

NB : If anyone has an old Nash Lounge Lizard Chair (Nomad with arms apparantly) i could be very interested

Last edited:

caveman38

Reaction score
Re: Chub chairs. I would advise that you look for a chair with locking pins for the adjustable legs like an earlier poster suggested.
If you see my post on "Course Fishing" forum http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/226753-collapsing-chair.html
you will see that I am having problems with the locking mechanism not working after the legs develop a rut with use.
Although Chub are happy to change the seat, I am told by my tackle dealer that the same would happen with a new one in time.
I assume all seats with this type of mechanism suffer the same problem.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately more importantly than that for me is the angle of the seat & back. Unfortunately 90% fishing chairs i have sat in or owned causes me back & neck problem. Its the seat angle that will define my decision & finding one with arms is proving difficult enough as it is.