Attitude to Specimen Hunting.

dezza

Reaction score
After a little searching, I was able to find the copy of an article written about 1960 that probably influenced my angling career more than any other that has ever been written.

I reproduce parts of it as follows:

"Last autumn I saw a man catch a beautiful roach. It really was a magnificent fish, a perfect example of what a roach should be - and it put up as good a fight as any roach I have ever seen. It weighed 1lb 14oz.

Its captor's face fell when he realised that it wasn't quite 2 lbs. He had read that I'd had quite a few 2 pounders and one roach of 3 1/4 lbs a few weeks before; and he said wistfully to me, 'Fancy catching a 3 pound roach - it'd make this one look silly!'

I tried to tell him that I'd never caught such a fine roach as his in my life; that a roach of 1lb 14oz is a big one in anyone's language, and that none of my two pounders had fought nearly as well. He thought I was just saying this to cheer me up.

Well I wasn't. I never have thought that that the biggest fish is the best fish. In fact it seldom is. Ask any angler who had had plenty of experience of big fish catching how many of his biggest fish were also the best of their species, for appearance, condition, and fighting ability, and you'll find he'll agree that not many were.

All my biggest roach were far from perfect specimens, last summer. they weren't in anything like good condition. The BEST roach I caught in 1960 weighed not much over a pound!

Try for the whoppers by all means - but in the meantime, remember that the very best sport comes from fish that maybe aren't so big, but which are clean, fit and active, in the prime of their lives. Don't be disappointed with them, I'm not."

I don't have to tell most of you who penned these immortal words, suffice to say that he was our greatest angling writer. These words were written at about the time when I was thinking about starting a specimen hunting group. At a later stage after corresponding with this man for a few weeks, he did write and tell me to try and catch real specimens, not raddled old tarts.

But what do you think, what is a true specimen fish?

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Raddled old tarts...

HE alluded to it, Ron, but SOME in the years that followed misconstrued the message (as people - particularly camp-followers - always do), thought "Right, I'll run with and make a name and a reputation - maybe even a living - out of this...". Which rather brings us to where we are now....

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
It’s got to be ‘in the eye of the beholder’ Ron. If you think that your catch is a specimen (special fish), it is! I am sure that we’ve all caught difficult or beautiful fish that wouldn’t trouble the scorers but are truly memorable to us. On the other hand, if a 2lb Roach is your Holy Grail, then a 1-14 might be a little disappointing.

The great man brought the potential to catch ‘monsters’ to the masses through his writing. Unfortunately, the media will always set the agenda, if you seek fame, you have to play by their rules. The magazines etc. are full of ‘Raddled old tarts’ (in the piscatorial sense, I hasten to add!!!):wh

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
To me a specimen is a perfect example of a truly wild fish. I prefer to catch bigger specimens because I enjoy the challenge of catching them consistently and I'm happy to muddy the definition of truly wild slightly (but not too much).

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It’s got to be ‘in the eye of the beholder’ Ron. If you think that your catch is a specimen (special fish), it is!
I'm with Stu on this and it doesn't have to be the biggest fish of that specie you've ever caught.

I've recently got myself a fishery, a back stream of the Thames all to myself - if I so wish, and tried it out a couple of weeks ago. One of the fish puzzled me as I thought it was a roach/bream hybrid, ie: very bream shaped, red fins, but a large eye. I slipped it back without thinking too much else about it.

Now I have been told there are lots of silver bream in that neck of the Thames so was this one? It was only a pound or so in weight and not being sure, the committee is still out on this one, but if it was, then that was a specimen as far as I'm concerned. Next time, I'll take photos and note size and everything to be sure, perhaps then I'll be disappointed.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
It seems that it is only us British that are fixated with the weight of specimen fish. The americans and continental predator anglers have long preffered to measure there captures. So what is more "worthy" a fat winter pike or a long lean wild scottish pike?

I'll take whatever comes :D:wh

andy nellist

Reaction score
There us nothing wrong with fishing for big fish if that floats your boat and in my case it certainly does. Where specimen anglers go wrong is that size becomes all important and that spoils their fishing.

I love fishing for big eels and don't mind the many blanks because I love being by the water. Last weekend I fished a different water and had 35 runs in a night landing 5 eels the best 3-7. I had a great time even though the fish were small.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I just fish. If something bigger than average comes along, great. If it doesn't I don't lose sleep. When I'm specifically fishing for carp, tench or barbel there's no such thing as a nuisance fish to me. If I catch bream or tench when carping, carp or bream when tenching or chub and bream when barbelling, great, beats catching nowt. The downside is that you may well not see the best of these fish because you are using inappropriate gear.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
A balanced attitude might work best and lead to most satisfaction. The content of the article is probably more relevant today as many anglers don't employ that attitude and are rather blinkered. I like the possibility of a large fish, but not in exchange for a pleasant experience - I wouldn't fish hideous busy stretches just because large fish are there, the 'circus'. A specimen is in the context of the particular water, if there are no 7lb chub in your river, have a realistic objective. A healthy, wild specimen is the ideal.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Is there something missing with the whole premis of Out and Out Specimen Hunting ?

You can only catch what's in the water that you are fishing ?

So I tend to only fish around where I live in the Lea Valley, I think my P.B. List for the Lea Valley stands up well with any other Lea Valley Specimen Hunter.

There are some who only chase the Biggest of the Species and spend fortunes in terms of Time, Family and Money to catch the very Biggest of all species.

And of course if the area you are fishing has some of the Biggest of the Species, they are going to look like " Raddled Old Tarts ",

Because they are not only going to be targetted by locals, but also Pot Chasers from all over the Country ?

I'm affraid that the way Specimen Fishing has gone, regardless of which ever Species you you are talking about.

It's just the way times change and I suppose to can blame it on the very man who started off Specimen Hunting as we know it now :(

Bob

Paul Morley

Reaction score
In terms of 'changing times', I'll go with less participants interested in a rich and varied sport. Parallel with many other pursuits and attitudes. It also occurs to me that some take themselves so seriously (there were such anglers in the 70s, polaroid and camo clad even then) that they forget to enjoy what they're doing and what is around them. A 'specimen hunting group' sounds daunting and exclusive, I'm not sure I would be attracted to one.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
. A 'specimen hunting group' sounds daunting and exclusive, I'm not sure I would be attracted to one.

Paul,

Thats because they are !!

And it's only like minded souls that would be interested in joining them ?

Bob

Simon K

Reaction score
The biggest of fish (bar modern carp, perhaps) are also the Oldest of fish.

Sometimes they're going to look a bit scarred and battered because of their age. Personally I think it can give them Character.

The more "beautiful" fish are going to be the smaller, younger ones.

From the point of view of Specimen Hunting, I'm not really sure I see the point?

B

Berty

The biggest of fish (bar modern carp, perhaps) are also the Oldest of fish.

Sometimes they're going to look a bit scarred and battered because of their age. Personally I think it can give them Character.

The more "beautiful" fish are going to be the smaller, younger ones.

From the point of view of Specimen Hunting, I'm not really sure I see the point?

Not always the case.......a 30+ pike in one water can be a lot younger than a 20 in another.

dezza

Reaction score
And with carp too.

I have known a 21 pound mirror carp that was all tattered and torn and much older than a 25 lb common that was pristine and the same shape as a fit barbel.

Old fish can go back in condition just as Clarissa did, which weighed 27 lbs on her death.

I leave you with this thought.

Which is the finer specimen of humanity, an obese, overweight, 50 year old nanny of 250 lbs or a young hourglass shaped blonde 21 year old model of 115 lbs?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
And with carp too.

I leave you with this thought.

Which is the finer specimen of humanity, an obese, overweight, 50 year old nanny of 250 lbs or a young hourglass shaped blonde 21 year old model of 115 lbs?

Ron,

I don't get it ?

Some fish are old and Tatty and Some fish are young and Tatty, some Fish are old and Good Looking and some fish are Young and good looking ?

Give me the Old Nanny, because tomorrow I will be a 66year Grandaddy ?

Bob

Simon K

Reaction score
Not always the case.......a 30+ pike in one water can be a lot younger than a 20 in another.

Yes, I did say "sometimes"? And most of the time it's probably true.

But if the point of fishing is to outwit and catch a fish, with our accepted target being measured in weight (as a definition of "Specimen" in the UK) what difference does aestheticism make? other than to appreciate each capture on its individual merit. You can hardly deliberately target "beautiful" fish? :confused:

B

Berty

Yes, I did say "sometimes"? And most of the time it's probably true.

But if the point of fishing is to outwit and catch a fish, with our accepted target being measured in weight (as a definition of "Specimen" in the UK) what difference does aestheticism make? other than to appreciate each capture on its individual merit. You can hardly deliberately target "beautiful" fish? :confused:

You can do whatever you want to.........but beauty will always be in the eyes of the beholder.