Golden zander

C

Chris Bishop

Brief story in this week's AT features a golden zander caught by a pike angler from a weirpool in Leicestershire.

Not doubting it was caught as there's a picture of it.

The story says they're rare - I've never heard of one being caught or seen it reported anywhere else.

Tens of thousands of zander get caught in the Fens every season, I'm suprised one hasn't shown up before.

Is this a first..?

B

Budgie Burgess

Yes come to think of it Chris it is quite suprising that more arnt seen."Gold" is quite a common (well relatively!) pigment deviation in a lot of species but in Zeds quite a few of them have that subtle hint of it in them so more blatently "Golden" ones should be more common?

The US Walleye often has a distinct golden hue to it.It makes you wonder if indeed there were some Walleye origonally imported into this country after all and this is a genetic throw back?

For those who dont know Walleye were meant to have been introduced many years ago to the UK,there was/is(?) even a British Record.It has been thought by many since though that there must have been some form of id cock up as these "Walleye" came from Europe where they arnt found naturally!

The recent "Golden" Zander is certainly not a sub species as some have sugested.

Y

yoggy

Lived in the Fens all my life.I`ve never heard of one being caught.

S

sash

Nah, me neither but I have seen some bizarre colour variations on pike. There was one shown on the P&P forum last year caught from a Midlands river I think that looked more like an Amur pike or some similar subspecies.

D

David Marrs

Have to say, it was the first 'Golden Zed' I've seen. I would imagine that with even its own parents predating upon it, a golden Zed would have to be proper lucky to survive. I read quite a superb article a few years ago regarding the 'co-location' of Pike and Zeds in coloured and clear water etc. Very interesting indeed, I'd imagine old Esox was well chuffed when a shed load of Zeds got fired into the Fens.....

Regarding the 'Walleye', the British record was taken from the Delph near Welney in 1934 by Mr F Adams at a weight of 11lb 3/4lbs or so. Apparently they were stocked by accident being present in a consignment of Black Bass imported from USA in 1925 and stocked into the Gt Ouse system. If they were still present, I'd imagine if you caught one you'd just assume it was a Zed.

Kind regards,
Dave

ingy

Reaction score
im sure i remember seeing a picture of a golden zed taken from woburn but not sure many moons ago in the times b ut am going back a while now

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Just a polite enquiry here.Can a golden zander be classed a a silver fish?.

LOL