stupidest of stupid questions

McPlop

Reaction score
I'm of to have a 24hrs stint on a local lake next week end. Now as i've said before i'm no great shakes as a fisherman but am always trying to improve, be it anoying the blokes in local tackle shops, pestering other anglers by the bank side, and now asking questions to FM members. I've recently been reading up on different rigs here on FM and quite fancy trying out one or two of them (jan porter bolt rig looks pretty simple but effective and not that different from my usual set up) . Now i was just wondering is there a rule of thumb on which rigs should be used in what instance, some are more self explanitory than others. The lake i'm of to is around three and a half acres in size, mainly a clay bottom with patches of gravel here and there and not too many snags. Predominently a carp water with a fair few fish around the 30lb mark and a good head of doubles. Boilies and pellets will be preffered baits on the day. any advice or links to more info on rigs greatly recieved, cheers.
p.s no hysterical laughter please.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Keep your rigs simple mate.
The Jan Porter rig is a good example.
I prefer a free running rig myself. Put the lea dweight up the line, Add two rubber beads.
Then put a swivell on. Tye the hooklength to the swivel.

The two rubber beads will make your hooklength stand away from the mainline.

McPlop

Reaction score
Cheers for that fella. Last time out i was useing an in-line open ended feeder with a little silicon tubeing over the start of my hooklink, no tangles all day long. is that the norm with in line gear or was i just lucky?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

In lines are supposed to be the most tangle free set up mate.

McPlop

Reaction score
Once again thanks for that. With the original question though, is there a rule of thumb when selecting a rig i/e helicopters for fishing at distance, another one for very weedy and potentialy snaggy areas, something else for work in the margins? or is it all personel choice depending on what your after?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It really is a case of matching the rig to the circumstances and conditions.

There are generalisations which you seem to be aware of already, like the helicopter rig is good for distance casting for example.

A variation of the helicopter is the 'chod' rig which is good for fishing over silt or weed.

Snaggy areas I would make everything as strong but fish safe as possible to give you control of the fish before it reaches a snag.

Margin work, as simple a rig as possible as there's no casting problems (probably), no need for feeders as you can bait by hand etc, etc...

Combine a suitable type of rig with suitable lines and other componants for the target species and you can't go far wrong.

McPlop

Reaction score
Thanks for that old bean. What are the variations with the chod rig?

McPlop

Reaction score
Have been waiting by the computer for responce to previous reply for 4 days, withou food, water or sleep. Well worth it though!

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Hi Mack.
I would go back to Baz's advice and keep it simple and start with the running lead rig. It's a very basic rig that I went back to in 1995 and still use today. A lot of the bolt rig and associated tubing etc is designed to catch more anglers than fish so don't waste your money. Despite popular opinion to the contrary tubing and leadcore are not needed to prevent tangles nor to protect fish, after all neither are used when float or floater fishing. Use mono or fluoro hook links and tangles can pretty much be forgotten. Concentrate more on getting your knots right (without needing glue) and you're going to catch some lumps. Good luck mate and keep us posted of your successes.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Incidently your title is NOT very apt. No questions should be regarded as stupid but there are a lot of anglers out there who make themselves look stupid because they are afraid to ask questions.
Ask away, listen and learn and catch some lumps.