Use of a rod pod

dezza

Reaction score
I remember years ago setting up for a spot of barbel fishing on the Trent. I erected my brolly with storm sides and was just fastening my rod pod together when a voice broke the still late summer afternoon air.

"Here for the duration are we?"

I turned and there in all his glory was a barbel policeman.

I'd never met one before and it seemed that he objected to the fact that I had erected a small shelter, was going to fish two rods and had a pod! It was no use explaining that the concept of the modern rod pod was invented by **** Walker, or that JW Martin the "Trent Otter" probably used something similar whan he was "fishing the plumb". No, according to him, I was a blaggard.

But I've been using a rod pod since 1989, which certainly did not recieve any objection in South Africa. Why must people object to them here?

Last edited:

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Associations with certain angling practises that draw scorn!! I use one when I have to - wooden boards; I suspect many become a slave to the damn things. I equally suspect Ron that the history is not common knowledge!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I love it to be honest. You can't beat annoying a narrow minded idiot just by virtue of using a pod and alarms. Why a pod should cause such annoyance is quite beyond me. The strange thing is that pods are considered "noddy" by many of the hard core carpers these day. The annoyance with alarms I can have some sympathy with but what they can't seem to grasp is that mine are set to silent in most situations. That just goes to prove it isn't necessarily the sound of alarms that annoys them, just the mere fact that someone has the temerity to use them.

I really don't care what others do, as long as it's safe and legal. I'd appreciate the same latitude from others. I don't object to the lighter approach even to the extreme of cane rods and centrepins. It isn't for me but good luck to them anyway.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I frequently use lead-clips, dacron or coated hooklengths, hair rigs and a pod with a pair of cane-rods and centre-pins.
Nobody bats an eyelid; most are open-minded and the bigots are too confused to risk asking, I suppose.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

or it could be my habit of talking to myself...

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Your like this one !!

It must have been about 10 years ago, it was freezing cold, with a sleaty snow fall all around my umbrella, held in place by two Storm Poles.

The Barbel rods were on a Pod, supported by two Fox Micron buzzers, with light bobbins hanging to indicate a bite ?

I was well wrapped up and the kettle had just whistled a happy tune to indicate it was Cuppa time.

From know where there was a tap on my Brolly, morning I said, the Policeman looked at me sternly and said.

Thats not proper Barbel Fishing ?

Is it not I replied :)

No the bedraggled policeman said !!

Oh said I, can I see your Ticket ?

Oh oh, who are you ?

I'm a Fishers Green Area Bailiff and I'm not to keen on being spoken too by the Barbel Police like that ?

He more or less had to strip off, to get to his permit and by now it was snowing !!

He went on his merry way, none the happier for me asking to see his permit :w

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
I frequently use lead-clips, dacron or coated hooklengths, hair rigs and a pod with a pair of cane-rods and centre-pins.
Nobody bats an eyelid; most are open-minded and the bigots are too confused to risk asking, I suppose.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

or it could be my habit of talking to myself...

Alan,
I bet that really confuses either of the extreme camps.:D Wish I'd thought of it.;)

dezza

Reaction score
I would love to get these barbel police and so called traditionalists to read a few old books from the 19th century, books written by the likes of JW Martin, Henry Coxon, William Bailey and their ilk.

They would soon find that these anglers were no traditionalists. They would soon find that these great anglers from the Victorian period did what they could with the materials that they had available to them. East India cane, tonkin, lancewood, greenheart and other natural materials were worked as best they could be worked. They made bait droppers out of tin cans, they made "method feeders" out of stiff wire.

They did what they could to make the tackle they used as efficient as possible. I detect nothing of the traditionalist in the writings of the great anglers of this era, and if it were possible to jump aboard a time machine and return to those times with the latest carbon fibre rod and Shimano reel in your hands, I'll wager that when the likes of the Trent Otter felt that rod, he would toss all his cane and wooden creations onto the nearest bonfire, or use them in the vegetable garden!

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Spot on Ron !

I have dozens of old fishing books - love reading and re-reading them - and the one thing that seems to form a thread through them all is that the thinking angler (one who thinks enough to write a book in fact) was always looking for another and better way of catching fish. They would have adored the modern inventions ...

I use a rod pod when I can't get the spikey thing on the end of a rod rest in the ground. I believe that is what they were invented for. Simples.

dezza

Reaction score
I think its important that old tackle is remembered and looked after. Displayed on your wall or in a museum is where it belongs. But used as fishing tackle in today's world?

Other than a short split cane fly rod for small streams, I think not.

It is today's anglers who invented traditionalism, not those of the past.

And there are those of today who think that split cane carp and Avon rods, no matter how well made, are better than the top carbon rods of today. No they are not! Simple engineering principles will confirm this. What Chris Yates knows about simple engineering principles is dangerous.

And in truth, much of the lower priced carbon rods in terms of fishing tools, are far superior to anything that Barder et al can turn out, no matter what the vastly inflated price might be, and no matter how others might pontificate about their worth.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"I've got a cane rod pod:p "

The trouble with those is that one starts to be regarded as a fetishist.
Still, the world seems full of cheap split-cane rods with broken tips that will never be worth replacing, so what else can one do with them?
Assuming that one doesn't like runner beans, of course.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I believe, there is nothing as nice as landing a decent fish on natural materials (not man made).

I use New Split Cane rods and Modern Centrepins quite a lot, I just like the feel of them.

I don't pretend that they are lighter or better than Modern Carbon rads or Modern Bait Runner Reels.

When using this tackle I would be termed a Traditionalist, nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe it's the way you use the tackle that makes you a Traditionalist ?

If the tackle is sturdy enough to land the fish and the rigs are suitable, what odds does it make !!

It's the In Your Face type of angler, be it a Pin and Cane man or an Out and Out Modern Carbon Angler, who believe everything else is inferior that make it laughable :w

Bob

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Completely with you on that one Bob. I enjoy fishing, I enjoy using a good cane rod and pin/f/s, also a modern carbon rod and pin/f/s. Whatever pleases me at the time, I’m fishing for my enjoyment not trying to impress/depress others. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jerry[/FONT]

noknot

Reaction score
A rod pod is an essential piece of tackle out here, as the banks are rocks or wooded platforms! I use a Nash S/S and love it!
Oh by the way Ron, were Gardner tackle the first company to put pods on the market?

dannytaylor

Reaction score
pods have there place (on wooden platforms and concrete banks) id rather somebody use one of these than spend 10mins hammering banksticks in with a mallet :eek:mg:

noknot

Reaction score
One of my local "Ponds"!!!

Carpa20Pod.jpg

dezza

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with that, although Yates, the silly old sod might object.

My current pod is a JRC X-lite which comes with a nice bag. It didn't cost me a fortune either. Yes and I agree, rod pods are more environmentally friendly.