Strange Summer

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fishing fame at last!

It was certainly a good night Jeff and thanks again.I seem to recollect though that the bigger of the barbel was well over 9lbs to the tune of 1lb 11oz.Sorry to rub it in ;-)

K

Kevin Perkins * CLXXX *

Nigel

Don't be afraid - rub it well in! At least you got an invite to fish the hallowed spot. Closest I've got is the other side of the glass courtesy of a birthday treat stay overnight in the Compleat Angler

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Kevin,

I though guests could fish?

As to the other invitation Jeff mentions, it is strange how he is always unavailable when I propose a date!

K

Kevin Perkins * CLXXX *

Nigel

Yes, guests can fish, except that my stay was a 'surprise' and if I had taken my rods along that might not have gone down too well!

It's always nice to see other FM members getting to fish with Jeff at Marlow, except now that there are nearly 30,000 of them and I am probably right at the back of the queue (pauses to sob, and dabs eye with hankie)and given my advancing years, it'll probably never happen now.......

It's not like I'm asking for a free barbel rod, is it....? And Amanda is back in the country at the moment, I'm sure I can persuade her to pop along, if that's what it takes

W

Wolfman Woody

Now look here you two.

Nigel, I don't think it was over 10lbs, that would have cost you a bottle of fine port, but I'll give you the 9lbs 11ozs. It's just that I've caught so many since (coughs) that I'd honestly forgotten the exact weight of yours.

Kevin, you have had a standing invitation for the past two or three years. I'm just waiting for the phone call from you saying "Hi Jeff, how about next Saturday/Sunday/whenever and here's Amanda's phone number.", but it never comes. The list is nowhere near 30,000 and you are well up at the top anyway.

Alas, but what's all this "my stay was a 'surprise'" and "Amanda is back in the country"? Putting two and two together and making 12, does this mean I'm at the back of the queue there?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

LOL.Jeff it most certainly was.When that little orange bit appears on the Avons it means that you have gone by the magic 10lb barrier.Maybe thats why you never seem to quite manage it and you have been catching doubles all these years after all!

Cockburn's or Graham's?

K

Kevin Perkins * CLXXX *

Jeff

'Surprise' stay was courtesy of my dear wife, and very nice it was too. We had the 'Undertaker' room (named after the salmon fly) overlooking the weir

Amanda (who does exist, in real life, but not under that name)was taken quite seriously ill for some time, and has been recuperating in a warmer clime. When she is back to 100% I will see if I can get her to put in an appearance so you can meet her in the flesh (so to speak!)

And of course I would love to take up your offer, but as always, it's a question of time etc. etc. Perhaps back end of the season....?

W

Wolfman Woody

Ok then Nigel, a bottle of port it is. Thanks.

Promises, promises Kevin. She will have to remain a dream. Perhaps for the best though.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

It shall be arranged Jeff.Hope you don't mind the bit of fun?!Who cares about weights anyway?It's the fishing and the company that counts.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I too have had a strange but different kind of year so far. Usually I will fish for anything.
Without realising it, I went on a single species attack. My season started off with Tench where I did okay. I dabbled only slightly on the rivers because of weather and water conditions. Then I had a go for the bigger Bream. They don?t give themselves up easily as many on this site will tell you. I did learn quite a bit, and found it very satisfying even though I didn?t catch any.

I can?t remember fishing for any other species in between these two episodes, time seemed to fly by.
Roach and Chub are now calling, so that will take me through till next Spring. Strange isn?t it? I seem to have caught less but enjoyed it a whole lot more.
I think it is because I got my act together and said, this is what I am going to do for the next month or so.
Highs and lows came in equal amounts, but I thorougly enjoyed every one of them.

Y

yoggy

Strange Autumn as well.A match on one of my local drains was won with a haul of Tench!!.Thats rarely heard of this time of year.Well,around here anyway ;-}