Boots or Wellies

New Kid

Reaction score
Which are the best for keeping your feet warm . Thermal Boots or Wellies.I would welcome any advice from you more experienced anglers who fish in the colder months.

Joskin

Reaction score
A good pair of neoprene and leather lined wellies such as hunter royals will keep your feet nice and toastie and 100% waterproof all the way up to your knees.

New Kid

Reaction score
Thank's Joskin.What sites if any can I see them on and how much are they?

ingy

Reaction score
skeetex are great had my wellies for 9 years now and still great never get cold feet with them have a look

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Oversized wellies and two pair of woollen socks. I have to wear boots every day, and have never had a pair of boots that have kept my feet both warm and dry in wet weather, the exception being an old pair of Brasher mountain boots that I aquired.
Be wary of "Thinsulate" boots because if anything they seem to get cold quicker than ordinary boots, same as "goretex" never been comfortable in a jacket let alone with boots.

W

Wolfman Woody

Skeetex are definitely the best made -

The Supers are the ones I'd be looking at.

I have had a pair of Field for years, but I don't walk a great distance in them.

Also got a pair of Essex that I've had about 11 years now and they are NOT for walking in at all if you can help it.

Wellies are so pass?

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Woody the welly tart, better keep my Compos specials (I have slashed the top six inches off the wellies with a stanley knife) out of sight on the next fishin them, it could be worse than being seen without a Harrison rod.

David Craine

Reaction score
Wellies for me...I make insoles out of carrymat foam, wear two pairs of socks and my feet are as warm as toast....Caution, never lend yer wellies, My son borrowed mine to go to a 2 day Music Fest, they came back with the felt tip logo....Make fishing rods not war, written all over them !. I am a rod builder , so I suppose you could call it free advertising..

S

Sean Meeghan

Try Muck Boots (just type it into Google). Not cheap, but, the best wellies on the market in my opinion. Warm and comfortable.

Y

yoggy

I have the skeetex super boot.Even though they are a superb boot which i still wear,for sheer comfort,the ability to walk good distances and being mega warm you cannot beat the MUCK-BOOT.

Originally they are made for the equestrian market.My sister in law who has a couple of horses put me on to them.Most good equestrian outlets sell them.You can buy a really good pair for around 45 quid.Also try any CWG outlet.

New Kid

Reaction score
Just been looking at the Muck Boots.Are the ones you mean ankle length or just above. The price for these is ?35 Which seems good.

S

Sean Meeghan

I've got the 'wellie' length ones. Be careful with the short ones as they don't have much grip in the sole. The ones to go for are the Derwent or (I think) the Tay. You can always fold the leg of the longer ones down if you want a shorter boot.

Y

yoggy

Same here.The wellie type ones are the best.There are a few equestrian shops on ebay you could even try.

After wearing these you`ll never go back to normal wellies.

R

Robert Woods 1

Had a look at the Muck Boots, might get a pair to replace my Skeetex ones. Just one thing some of the Muckboots have flat soles. Do these have good grip for river banks or will I have to get the dearer Derwent ones...??? Also are they hot enough without extra socks.

Y

yoggy

Mine are actually from "The muck boot company" they are the "Classic tack boot". These have a sole which wraps over the side of the boot.They have no actual heel.But dont let this put you off Robert.I have had no problems as far as grip is concerned.They are super lightweight,extremely flexible and very warm.Usually i only wear a thin pair with a slightly thicker pair of socks over the top.My feet have never been cold even on the coldest days.

S

Sean Meeghan

I bought a pair of Muck Boot Derwents. These have a cleated sole which has given good grip. They have recently brought out a version with a 'hiking boot' sole which I think is called the Tay. Can't vouch for warmth in the middle of winter as I haven't had them that long!

R

Robert Woods 1

Thanks for advice...wonder if I can get them cheaper by buying childrens sizes as I'm only a size 5...lol

Y

yoggy

Robert,go on to Ebay and have alook in the Equestrian section.They have some Ebay shops with buy it now prices.Some of the boots sell for around 30 quid....and they do size 5!!!