taff feeder stream

nicky

Reaction score
I'm going on a bit of an adventure tomorrow, I'm ditching my usual haunts and have decided to catch the train into cardiff to fish the taff feeder stream (free fishing)which comes off the taff past cardiff castle through the parks to the docks.

I've never fished there before but have heard from a few people and had a look on the net and it sais that there are roach, perch, chub, barbel, minnows, bream and carp present.

I've talked to a few people including the bloke in my tackle shop and they have said that it's only a stream no more than a few feet wide in places but there are loads of fish.

I've been told it's best to fish when the river taff is in flood as the coloured water comes into the stream raises the level and improves the fishing (probably also draws fish in from the main river), as it's been raining heavily i'm optimistic.

Clive Branson has written a few pieces about it and said he holds the match record with thirty something pound

I doubt if anyone has heard of it before but if they have any advice would be welcome maybe welsh Goff?

nicky

Reaction score
Yes Goff i did, I didnt get the early start i intended to get though, ended up getting down there about 1.00Pm

nicky

Reaction score
As it was my first visit I didn't really know where to start, I walked through the gates and followed the path, crossed over the footbridge turned right and walked a further couple of hundred yards.
I set up a little stick float and had a small chub on my third cast, I then started walking back towards the footbridge casting here and there and caught a few more small chub, biggest about 1.5Lb.

When i got back to the footbridge i made my way to the oppsosite side of the stream and fished the area adjacent to the castle wall.

Had a nice perch of about a 1lb in the last pool before the stream dissapeared under the road, also had a few roach, a dace, another 4 or 5 chub, then i hooked into something that felt much bigger and stronger and headed straight for the tunnel, i didn't know much about it before my size 18 hook pulled.

All in all a very interesting couple of hours fishing, well worth another look as i felt I only scratched the surface.

If you have any advice on location or tactics that would be great, I would like to catch a barbel whatever size as it's 1 of the only fish i've never caught.

Welsh Goff I Do luv My Sheep

Reaction score
You done the right thing Nick, roving if the water is clear.
If there is colour in the water look for slacks, i think you will have to go on the big river to get a barbs.
Where are you from Nick?