Plans for two new fishing lakes

I

Ian Cloke

PLANS for two new fishing lakes on the site of the old Monovians sports ground in Woodford Green are back on track after gaining approval from Redbridge Council.

Objections from the Environment Agency over a potential flood risk from the proposals were withdrawn after the plans were amended and now construction of two lakes of between 90 and 115 metres long, stocked with a variety of fresh water fish, will get underway in the spring.

The site in Roding Lane North has been unused for more than ten years and developer Gordon Bullock has had his eye on the council-owned site for most of that time.

He said: "I thought that would be a brilliant site for a fishing lake but it was only about four years ago that I got the opportunity to tender for it and it's taken nearly four years from the first point of tendering for the property to receive planning permission."
continued...

Although there are existing locations for fishing in the borough, councillors on the regional planning committee west were unanimous in approving the scheme.

Mr Bullock said: "All they saw it as was a football pitch but as time went on they slowly began to see my way of reasoning.

"I think it's good news for everybody because you've got fishing around the Redbridge area but you haven't got the security that comes with it that you need these days.

"People can have a few thousand pounds worth of fishing tackle and they don't want to sit down on the River Lea anymore, and people want to go where there are facilities as well."

Committee member Cllr Felicity Banks said: "I welcome it but I warn you now that the herons nearby might be thinking that it's Christmas every day of the year."