Wire Traces

BIG JIM

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the best way to attach the second treble on a home made wire trace ? It needs to be " in-line " with the trace. I have tried to tie them like the shop bought traces but they end up with too many kinks in them.

G

Gary Knowles

Once you have the bottom treble on take the free and of the trace wire and thread it through the eye, back down over the outside of the hooks bend and pull it tight into the 'vee' between the three trebles. Then wrap the wire about 4 times around the shank then back through the eye.

Lies perfectly in line and never breaks.

C

Chris Bishop

Few more turns maybe and you can attach both hooks this way quite securely, cover the turns in shrink tube that comes just past the eye and it protects the twists (up to a point) from forceps or pliers when unhooking fish and also helps keep the coils tight.

S

sash

And just to really confuse you Jim, I'll add my favourite method.

Add the top treble first by attaching it as per Budgie's bottom treble (loop through and over). Take the end of the wire leading to the bottom treble and take it back through the top treble eye. What you will now have is a treble securely attached and lieing alongside the wire. Attach the bottom treble as per Budgie's method, i.e. looped and twisted.

I now like to slide a piece of silicone over the shank of the top treble to tidy everything up before attaching the swivel, again with loop and twists.

The wire between top and bottom treble can be wound around the top treble shank to suit various bait sizes if required but I tend to have a number of traces made to suit different bait sizes that are easily switched using a Gemini clip at the end of my mainline/uptrace.

BIG JIM

Reaction score
Thanks for your help chaps. I especially liked the link Budgie ... Its always better to look at an idiots guide.