Wind up Radio

matt

Reaction score
I've been contemplating investing in one of these but I have a mental picture of breaking into a sweat on the bank due to constantly having to wind the thing up !

Any one any experience if these ?
How long do they keep their charge?

McPlop

Reaction score
I've had a freeplay driven "ranger" for about 3 years. To be honest i dont use it very much and only realy remembered i had it after reading your post. I havent touched it in 18 months, just turned it on and it works like a charm!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Worth every penny...no batteries and five minutes steady winding will power it for hours

Welsh Goff I Do luv My Sheep

Reaction score
Matt i got a Freeplay Ranger as well its got a solar panel, wind up and a charger brilliant little radio.
Have had it 2 years, its full of plaster and paint and been dropped and knocked over a few times and its still going strong.

NIGE K

Reaction score
i have just bought a windup light from wilkos for ?3.99 they also had a windup radio for ?6.99 i only got the light though will let you all know how it works when i have tried it.

matt

Reaction score
What about the cheaper end of the market.
I've been looking at a cheap radio/torch
on ebay. I believe it says 90seconds winding gives you an hour radio play. Which is ok but when I'm dropping off in my bivvy I don't want to be getting up and indulging in 90 secs of vigorous winding !!

Welshy know where I can get a wind up sheep?
I don't mind getting vigorous with that.

E

Eric Hayes

I cant see the point when 2 AA's last months. I do enough winding to get the fish in I don't want to do any more to get a F'in' radio to work.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Right on Eric! Lads, just keep a few batteries spare, this is the modern world.
I think that Trevor Bayliss bloke invented the wind up radio for use in deserts ect, not for the likes of us with access to shops 24/7.

McPlop

Reaction score
I hear what your saying gentlemen but every one loves a gadget dont they? Now my wind up torch, thats a class act. The amount of batteries torches go through and me being a tight jock, suits me fine. More pennys for meths or buckfast.

B

Barry Edney

'I do enough winding to get the fish in'

You could be onto something here Eric. All you have to do is connect your reel to a radio!

R

Rodney Wrestt

I have the Sony version and it's does what it says on the tin, when the batteries go you can wind the handle for a couple of minutes and it'll be powered for a few hour, or use rechargeable ones and flick the switch to solar and it recharges these too.