Koi Carp disease -what now?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Leaving aside the moral issues, I have found out that a fishery I am due spend a week at next year has been affected by the Koi Carp disease outbreak. What is the current situation with such waters? Are they officially closed by order of the EA? I understand such venues are not allowed to restock from outside sources but I am more concerned about the condition of the fish that have survived. I dont fancy catching diseased fish and would probably sling my landing net afterwards.
Have already paid a deposit on the accomodation but heard nowt from the owner.
Any information appreciated.

honslow

Reaction score
Should be fine Peter. Fish will have recovered and be back to normal. Yes, they will be carriers, but the clinical symptoms shouldn't be in evidence, ie no dying fish. Cefas has seen very few recurrences of clinical outbreaks following initial infections.
Just follow any biosecurity measures in place. If you use a net and keepnet dip them in disinfectant (should be some on site) after use and leave them in the sun for a couple of days after your visit. Job done!
Once its played out its course after the initial outbreak KHV is only a risk if the fish on site are moved to somewhere that hasn't been infected. Latent carriers should be perfectly healthy. You would be very unlucky to arrive at said fishery to find it suffering a second clinical outbreak. If that were the case you would be perfectly justified in claiming a refund from the owner (not sure where you would stand legally there though).

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Many thanks Greg. That has reassured me a lot. The place I am referring to in North Devon breeds his own fish anyway. I am gutted for the owner because he is such a nice ,genuine man, who doesnt impose silly rules for the sake of it and looks after his immaculate fishery asiduously, yet it has touched him instead of all the other dreadful carp holes runs by uncaring farmers out to make a few bob. Life can be a bitch at times but I had to ask someoone as the holiday represents a big cash outlay for us all.