New to Norwich

Simon Kelshaw

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just moved to Norwich, the Hethersett area if anyone knows it, and I'm trying to find a club to join that has a few stillwaters, ideally a river stretch or two, night fishing would be good too.

I seem to be struggling to find much on the net, so any help would be greatfully recieved, weblinks and telephone numbers etc

Thanks in advance.
Simon

blankety blank

Reaction score
Welcome to Norfolk!

There is stacks to go at here.

If you like your bream fishing, there are various bits of the Yare that you can fish, especially at night. You can Pike fish from the bank too, although you will do much better with a boat. Teh bure is perhaps more prolific for pike, and the Thurned has teh best record for big pike, although it can be desperately hard going at times.

Access to the Wensum is more difficult, with much of it being privately held or run by NACA. There are one or two free stretches.

If you've got a couple of hundreds quid to spare, you could get a ticket for Bawburgh lakes (british record bream, double figure tench, big carp and pike etc)

Otherwise, there are loads of lakes andpbits within easy driving distance.

The best advice is to get a copy of "Where to fish in Norfolk and Suffolk" by John Wilson. It will tell you all you need to know.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Stacks of gravel pits, some commercial fisheries and the rivers. John Wilsons book would be ideal starting place as blankety says.

Simon Kelshaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the info chaps, since doing the post I?ve managed to find a few sites with decent info.

Ive ordered the Wilson Book.

I guess I?ve been spoilt as up in Yorkshire I had www.yorshirefishing.net and the Norfolk equivalent is, well pants :)

So after doing some info capture shall we say, I?ve managed to cobble together a database of over 140 venues with Multimap links, from a massive amount of different resources, inc clubs etc.

May release it as a free reference website.

One thing that I have noticed is the price increase, I know us Yorkshire folk can be tight fisted but the clubs I have found seem to be in the ?65 plus mark for about 4 waters, when you consider northern clubs like Bradford have about 40 waters for ?32, its going to take some getting used to.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Simon, I rarely pay anything for my local (Norfolk) fishing. When I go piking I pay boat hire, but apart from a tench pit that I fish fairly regularly, nearly all my fishing is on free stretches. Admittedly, I am a fan of rivers..

B

Bully

"I know us Yorkshire folk can be tight fisted"

Apparently you are all fat bastards as well!!

Spent 4 years at University in Norwich, great place and simply tons of good fishing...

Simon Kelshaw

Reaction score
Apparently all those south of Nottingham are Southern Ballet Dancing poofs' and all those north of Harrogate are Scottish!

While you where wasting time at University, Did you fish the Pond? how did it fair?