Common Denominator?

P

Peter Waller

This stems from the the Barbel Police thread. People go 'carp' fishing for barbel, for bream, for pike, for tench et al. People go pole fishing for carp, barbel, for bream, for pike even, for tench et al. So I do have some sympathy with the Barbel Police who are saying 'whats wrong with Barbel Fishing for Barbel'? We have 'fly' fishermen who fish for everything from loach to sharks. Lure fishermen who reckon theirs is the method. But its this creeping desire of the 'carp' fraternity to inflict their methods on the rest of us. I suppose Graham Marsdens anti Barbel Police comments in Coarse Fisherman Mag that has got my goat. I have nothing against progress but I can appreciate the feelings of those who are saying that they don't want their branch of the sport reduced to the same common denominator. Perhaps its time to stand up against the propaganda of the Carp Gestapo, ve has our methods, & you vil use zem, or else.

C

Carp Angler

I don't think that any carpers are trying to inflict their methods on anyone, it's just that carpers tend to be at the forefront of tackle and bait development, so are not adverse to trying something new and utilising the most efficient methods.
Other branches of the sport see this and ride the success wave that is carping tactics to make their own fishing easier/more efficient.

As opposed to 'pushing' carping tactics onto other branches, maybe it's time for the carpers to say "stop nicking my ideas".

I think you miss the point about the barbel police though, most of us have nothing against the way they fish, it's just them telling everyone that their method is the only way, that's where the gestapo likeness really is.

M

Michael Hall

Thats true but one thing is that if you look at fishing from the forfront you would see that all idea's are taken from all areas of angling and I dont think that any of there areas can say this is the method.
I think that people like to change and are always looking for ways to improve their form/style of fishing and maybe in a way its like fashion because an idea is formed for fishing in a certain style but other areas of the sport/hobby use it to their advantage!
take the bait boat for example, can be used for both carp and pike fishing!!

D

David Will

I don't see Barbel fishing as having a problem. 'New' ways of catching Barbel will become just another method.As in Carp fishing there are numerous ways of catching fish.Not everything revolves around chucking a boilie out with a three ounce lead.What I think what worries the so called Barbel Police is the possibility that drones will camp out in favoured swims basically boring the occupants into submission .This does not last for long where it has occured. What good thinking anglers know is that by using imagination , the methods appropriate to the day and conditions and a bit of the old pioneer spirit they will always be one step ahead.I think what irks Graham is having the opinions of others imposed on everyone else.How we fish as Graham say's is a matter for ourselves as long as it remains legal.If people start to bivvy up for Barbel clubs will , like RMC did simply ban bivvies or night fishing.

S

Stuart Bullard

I can't really see the point of this debate. In my mind, when you try to catch barbel, you fish in a manner that catches them. To me, that is called barbel fishing. The fact that you may be using a bolt rig on a baitrunner doesn't mean you get them jumping into your landing net. You still have to do the basics right and is no less skillfull.

And why is it OK to set up banks of 3 or 4 rods on a lake, and not two rods on a river?? OK, so long as the river is big enough to accomodate two rods, why not?

As long as it is safe (i.e. safety rigs) and people enjoy it, go for it.

M

michael hall

I agree with stuart if you want to catch a certain species of fish you use any manner of catching them. Look at Graham he when carp fishing for barbel, now many people have critisized him for it. I havent and I agreed with what he said in CF its up to him how and what he fishes for!!