freezing deadbaits

S

Stevie Robertson

Thinking of buying some fresh sardines and injecting them with an oil of some sort before freezing, what is the best way to freeze them after they have been flavoured......ta

Dave Smith

Reaction score
My brother-in-law brought the wife a vaccum packer a couple of years back... she wasn't very impressed. but it's ideal for freezing deads. Sucks all the air out then seals the end of the back...sorted.

C

Chris Bishop

Stick 'em in grip-lock bags, get the air out first. Try to just have three or four in a bag and freeze them flat so they don't stick together.

L

levelspiker

best way to get the air out is to zip up the bag leaving half inch to let the air out,then immerse the bag of baits into a bucket of water,the water pressure will force the air out,zip the bag up fully after the air has been expelled,then you have "vac packed" baits.
i read about this method in sea angler mag and it works!

B

Budgie Burgess

I tend to go and catch 90% of my dead baits.Due to this I often have a large supply in the freezer for a long time.

The biggest enemy I have trying to keep my bait in top condition is "freezer burn" this I believe is down to contact with air (even the small amount that remains after you try and get it all out before closing your zip top bags!).

Over the years Ive found the best way of avoiding this problem is to "glaze" my baits before wrapping them up.
First thing to do is lay out your baits individually on a tray and put (uncovered) in to the fast freeze section of your freezer.Also put in a large bowl of water.Keep checking the water.Once it starts to freeze take it out,you now have whats known as "ice water" ie water at 0 degrees but still fluid and not solid.

Take your ice water and partially frozen baits out.Dip your bait into the ice water and a thin layer of ice will form over the bait (a bit like when you first start licking an ice lolly) repeat this a couple of times ensuring the bait is totally encapsulated in ice.Wrap them individually in cling film and return to freezer.I then tend to bag the individual baits up in to "packs" in thicker plastic bags.

This way you can keep your bait in absolute tip top condition for up to a couple of years! no discolouration from freezer burn or degrading of the quality of the flesh.

Obviously any pop up gear or additional oil/flavouring needs to be put in before the initial freezing.