What bait to use?

Reaction score
Next week I'm working away in Norfolk for 6 days. I'v managed to get my self into a hotel on the River Ant.

I have various options where I can fish - which will be in the evenings after work. Generally it's roach and bream and maggot and caster work well.

However, finishing work at 1800 I'll have trouble getting to a tackle shop to buy fresh bait each evening (I don't think the hotel will put them in the fridge).

So, what baits could I use? Any ideas?

My first thoughts are:

1. Worm plus plastic corn or plastic maggot.
2. Bread flake.
3. Hemp.
4. Corn.

I need to use something that I can take and keep fresh in my room!

Any other ideas?

richiekelly

Reaction score
why not take some pellets, soft and hard will catch roach and bream and no preparation needed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Worm, Corn and Bread are the obvious choices Matt.

That said I'd still opt for maggot and caster as the better baits and simply use a cool box to store them in.

I'd take two or three freezer packs and have the hotel re-freeze them every day.

I think you'd be handicapping yourself by not taking the maggots and casters.

Just make sure that the tops are all fitting well otherwise you could be in for some problems with the hotel.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
You could try dead maggots ....... just freeze them at home for a good few days first before you travel and then leave them in a cool box in your car. Bread is an easy option, fresh bread can be bought from most places.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I would definitely go for the Peter Jacobs freezer bag method but I'm wondering if a camping equipment store might not have some better ideas-surely you cannot be the only person wanting to keep something cool for longer than 24 hours??

I don't know but I would've thought some form of chemical sachet would be available-we have those that are used to keep hands warm so why not to to chill?

Certainly we have used freezer blocks to transport frozen food for at least 10 hours and they work fine but obviously the hotel would need to re-freeze them for you.......

ps...maybe you could rent a (very)mini fridge and keep it in your room-not as daft as it seems or change hotels and go for 5-star with a mini bar!!

Last edited:

jack sprat

Reaction score
Bread is the simplest way to avoid the problems of storage, and best of all, it's easy to replenish at any corner shop. No need for cool boxes, or any danger of it dying/going off, and cheap to boot.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The odd warm beer or G & T never hurt anyone...Not a time to be fussy and as you say, the bait must come first!!

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I don't know if they still have it, but Lathams of Potter Heigham used to have an external maggot dispenser. It was simply a converted coke machine fixed to the wall outside the shop, and maggots were dispensed in recycled coke cans with plastic lids. The chiller mechanism kept them in perfect condition.

It was a genius idea, but doubtless it's no longer there, H&S probably having something to say on the matter!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
some places have machines like vending machines but stock is maggot - seeen them when we were down there a few years back - probably very expensive and not sure on the quality

Good luck mate

you could always try spinning for pike - or a nice dead bait in the hotel fridge:wh

Reaction score
Well I took a couple of pints of maggots on a cooler and bought a pint first day.

Had a few hours at Ludham Bridge on the Ant. Fished maggot feeder and caught loads of roach to 12oz, skimmers and eels .

I fished right next to the hotel last night. Had no maggots (went sour).

Fished ground bait feeder for bream with corn and worm, but no bream showed. However lots of nice Rudd 12oz to 1pm on plastic corn popped up above the weed.

Will try for more Rudd tomorrow probably on bread.

john1981

Reaction score
yeah pellets r good been doing well with 8mm red robins pre drilled with small pva bag of pellets and bacon grill on other rod

Reaction score
I had another couple of hours tonight. I caught loads of very nice Rudd up to about 1lb.

Fished waggler with punched bread and punch crumb and also sweetcorn.

Had to pack up as a storm was moving in and I didn't fancy getting all my stuff soaked again. The car ****ing stinks already!

Last day working tomorrow so bye bye river Ant.

Dog? Swim? I'm here working and fishing evenings m'lud.