Salmon in the Trent

Steve Handley

Reaction score
I suspect Salmon maybe returning to the Trent in increasing numbers. Several times in the last couple of years I've noticed fish leaping clear of the water, not your usual Barbel rolling and splashing on the surface, but fish actually leaping clear.

As anyone else been a witness to this, or better still, accidently caught one?

C

chris 2

Seen them jumping up Tutbury wier on the Dove a couple of years ago and the Dove joins the Trent a long way up stream.

G

Grant Lever

salmon have been trying to run up the trent for years,a mate who used to work on the barges over 40 yrs. ago used to gaff them out when they choked due to pollution, we used to get the keeper of colwick sluices(bill Lloyd)to make sure the salmon pass was always open,i suppose they can now run up the slalom course,...i believe parr were introduced to the dove a few years ago so should now be returning..

N

nick hodgkinson

odd ones have been caught on the worm

if there was more spinning in the river i'm sure catches would increase

not quite sure if i'm ready to try the double handed fly rod!! - imagine the looks you'd get?

weirs are the obvious places to try as fish will rest there or wait until water temperatures rise before moving upstream

S

sash

Seen loads this year. In fact there were a few jumping during the Collingham fish-in, especially on the night prior to most people's arrival (Thursday).

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Actually old chaps, now is the time to get all you horrid low class coarse fishahs off the river and lets have some Pukka Sahibs fishing it.

I believe that 4 famous weirs have been bid for and tied up by salmon syndicates for ?25m.

You can of course apply for jobs as gillies to tend to the needs of us uppah classes.

captain carrott

Reaction score
time to pollute the place and get rid of the vermin then methinks.
we'll only lose the river to fluff flingers if we don't string nets across the humber kill them at all costs.