pike on the pole

V

vince battams

simple really, what are your thoughts, i have commented on this for years ever since the carp cruching poles and strong elastics came about, but as i have not got a pole i've yet to try it, it gives people a laugh when i say it and i hget called some choice names, but seriously your thoughts ?

T

Tony O'dell

Sorry Vince, no offence meant. I would think the long time between runs, and the general exertion required to hold a long pole for a long period of time would make it hard. Also striking may be an issue, with the elastic. I remeber a while back Ray Mumford i think experimented fishing for barbel with a pole, which he had whipped rings onto, enabling him to hold back with a float further out in the flow, but the current long rods available serve the same purpose.
What advantages do you expect to get by fishing with a pole?
Best regards
Tony

V

vince battams

what advantages i do not know, it is a thought that came into my head and something which i have often commented on and just looking for people's thoughts on it.

T

Tony O'dell

I think it would make quite a hard days fishing, i usually try to make my fishing as effecient and stress free as possible, and i am not sure this method is conducive to that ideal.
Best of luck Vince

R

Rodger Walker

vince,
i can see it would work with strong elastic and lures on a fen drain for example.
Im sure i read in at a while back(year or so) about someone doing it on the fens with lures and being quite successful.I havent try it yet tho as im just starting to lure fish tho that might be the best time to try!!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Vince, I seem to recall this one being discussed before. If i remember, French anglers use the pole to present lures on the far banks of canal/rivers.

On the fish welfare front, I think that the pole would be a little dangerous. I dont think a 30 pounder would take kindly to having a set of trebles left in it after the line has snapped. At least on the commercial Carp water where poles are used, you can be pretty certain of the size of the fish to expect. If that makes sense?

C

Chris Bishop

I'm sure someone who knew what they were doing would be fine, although I wonder how you'd hit them hard enough to set the hooks.

My biggest fear would be we'd end up with a lot of people who haven't thought through unhooking, fish handling etc catching pike and harming them.

The lest thing you want to do is encourage people to fish for them with inadequate tackle, how many pole anglers carry 42" landing nets, 12" forceps, bolt croppers, unhooking mats etc..?