I

Ian Cloke

Don't let SEPA know - press release for immediate use
The Salmon Farm Protest Group
An ruda na bo bhroin, cha bhi e na do thmhnadh
�That which you have wasted will not be there for future generations�

PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE USE � 9th October 2006

Don�t let SEPA know

The Salmon Farm Protest Group (SFPG) has obtained a document, �Guidance Note on Recording the Use of Formalin� which suggests that Argyllshire salmon farmer Landcatch has asked their staff to falsify records of chemical usage; records that are scrutinised by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA). It is initialled �SLR� and dated 22-Aug-05.

SLR says, �It would be prudent to regard this guidance note as a confidential, internal document and not for scrutiny by regulators or external auditors,� and points out that �Compliance to the conditions in the SEPA discharge consent is increasingly becoming the focus of external auditors and it is important that the treatment records demonstrate that compliance.�

SLR tells his staff, �SEPA discharge consents give the maximum number of Formalin treatments permitted in any one day and so this is what should be recorded in the triplicate book,� and advises, �If the actual number of [fish] tanks treated exceeds these values then the surplus treatments should be recorded as taking place on another day.�

SFPG chairman, Bruce Sandison commented, �If my interpretation of this document is accurate, how can SEPA rely upon information supplied to them by the fish farmers? If these allegations have any substance, I also wonder if other fish farmers subvert SEPA regulations in a similar way and, if so, how long this has being going on?�

The full text of the document may be viewed on www.salmonfarmmonitor.org

For further information contact: Bruce Sandison on tel: 01847611274

Hysbackie, Tongue, by Lairg, Sutherland IV27 4XJ, Scotland
Tel: 01847 611274; Fax: 01847 611262; email: bruce@hysbackie.freeserve.co.uk
A company registered in Scotland, No.240223

Notes for Editors

Formalin, a known carcinogen, is a generic term which describes a solution of 37% formaldehyde gas dissolved in water. It is used to control external parasitic infections on the gills, skin and fins of fish.