snapped off

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

wonder if you could help ?
im currently fishing on a local river pikeing that is, 20lb whiplash braid,10000xte b/r,. and every time i get a run when i strike i SNAP,this is really starting to upset me, yup thats how much its stressing me.
PLEASE LADS HELP!!!!!!!!!

C

Chris Bishop

20lbs Whiplash - thickness approx same as 4lbs mono - is far too thin and light.

Where's it going, the line or the knot attaching it to your trace..?

C

Chris Bishop

What knot you using mate..?

You need to use different knots with braid.

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

im not sure the name chris maybe a blood knot.
it goes like this - thread it through the eye of swivle,loop it,then 7 turns,thread it back through the loop,lick it and tighten.... (hope u understood)

C

Chris Bishop

There's your prob mate, it won't work with braid, it'll slip every time.

You need to pass the line twice through the eye of the trace swivel, clip or whatever you use, then use a knot called a uni or a grinner; which are both basically the same thing.

There's probably a link to it on the rig section or somewhere, the knot is slip-proof if tightened carefully.

Ian Scarfe

Reaction score
Or a Palomar,but I don't like Whiplash,Powerpro is much better,IMO.
ian

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

chris can u maybe find that link for me pal.
i really need to sort this .

S

sash

Why strike at all?

Wind down and lean into the fish, keeping a good bend in the rod.

Minimum 50lb braid for pike fishing.

L

levelspiker

my sentiments exactly sash.
i use 50lb braid for bait fishing and smaller lures,for bigger lures i use 80lb braid.
power pro or fox braid are both good.
i straightened the hook on a big spinner bait when i pulled out of a snag using fox 50lb,so i guess that its pretty bullet proof.
i also use the grinner knot as described by chris.

B

Budgie Burgess

A classic case of some one selecting braid by breaking strain rather than diameter!

Whiplash is probably one of the thinnest braids available and I reckon thats what causes most of the problems with it! Never seen another brand slagged of so much.

But as said the old style blood knots (tucked or normal) just dont work.Grinner for me as well but Ive never found the need to take it twice through the eye.

C

Chris Bishop

Makes the knot far stronger Budgie, it beds down neater and doesn't strangle itself.

B

Budgie Burgess

My arguments against the method Chris are that the loops going through the eye often cross each other (even if tied with the utmost care they do when under extreme tension) which defeats the whole point(?) and secondly and more importantly is that I went back to useing a single loop through the eye on all my catfishing (work and own)and have never had a knot break.

Im not so sure that the crossing of the braid in the eye is going to cause a major problem more that its just not necesarry as use has proved.

I use it like this to attach both hooks and swivels

B

Budgie Burgess

Mind you in all fairness after saying that.
When I tie my braided mainline to a swivel on my pike rigs (remembering that the braids diameter here even at 35-50lb BS,dependant on brand is lower than my cat braids) I tie a standard grinner but double the end of the braid over first before putting it through the eye and tying it.

B

Budgie Burgess

"whiplash is fine for tying up plants in the garden!"

Its the dogs for sewing up your bivvy as well!

C

Chris Bishop

Budgie if you tie it carefully and tighten it slowly, the two turns through the eye of the clip/swivel or whatever bed in neatly.

B

Budgie Burgess

Try putting it under extreme pressure Chris.It often ends up "crossing" its self.Mind you once again after having said that Im basing all of this on 45lb Quicksilver and later "Ton Up" braided hook length materials.Maybe main line braids dont do it? As said with the main lines I only go through the eye once but with the line doubled first.

Im sure either way in practice is fine regardless of any possible strength gain/loss as we are never (whilst playing a fish properly) going to be able to put enough pressure on any of these braids (be they hook length material or main line) to break them any way!

No matter what rod your using your going to struggle to pull much more than 11lbs for long holding the rod in a conventional way ie one hand on the rod and one on the reel.Go on get some scales and try it!